Sign in to follow this  
Fairzy

Sunroof Question

I just picked up my C last nite and the sunroof doesn't work - I knew this before I bought the car so am OK with that!

It will not tilt, or slide, but the motor does not even make any noise... could this mean it is just a fuse or something simple?? :roll:

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

First thing, remove the switch plate by removing the interior light cluster. You'll see a couple of screws, undo them and then pull the whole panel free (it's tucked under the grey interior aperture seal too). Now you'll see the motor. Clipped to the motor is crank handle. Unclip that and then slide the arrowed sliding cover off the crank hole in the motor. Stick the crank in and see if the roof tilts and slides manually. If it does so without gouging the passenger side rear of the roof panel (externally), the mechanism is OK. If the roof opens manually, stick shed loads of white grease all over the exposed mechs and in the slide channels, reconnect the switch panel and try the motor again. But slide the little crank cover over first or the motor won't work.

Try that first and see how you get on.

Kev,

What you described is true for the later motor.

The ealy motor doesn't have either the allen key crank handle, nor the little crank cover.

Otherwise, good call.

Oh and check the fuse... :D

Which fuse should I be checking?

Also the windows go down on 'one-touch' but do not go up... could this be linked?

Cheers

Both windows aren't supposed to be one touch up... only the driver's one, although this may vary on year as IIRC some of the later ones don't have one touch up at all... ;)

Check all of the fuses, the fuse location varies too depending on year and engine spec... (which you haven't mentioned and always makes life more difficult for others trying to help :wink: )

yup, perfect... 8) :D someone with a similar one will probably be along shortly to help.... 8)

I'm in a similar boat, just got a 16v C, 1990 (my first corrado :!: :o ). In the driver's manual it mentioned popping out the light cluster (as did kevhaywire), and then the rest of the panel. Only, well, there's no panel there. The light cluster is the only panel, apart from the main roof lining. Do I have to remove the entire roof lining, or have I missed something obvious? Like a fuse (checked all them, they look ok)

I've noticed to the rear of the roof lining there's a small panel with hollandia sunroof written on it, which can be removed. I though this might be a crank handle point, but it's just appears to be a threaded bolt, no way of engaging from below.

I know this can't be too big a deal!

Any advice appreciated...

:lol:

deag.

this sounds like it may be an after market sunroof to me, deag... :? Any chance of some pics?

I don't think it's an aftermarket fit, they're made by webasto (I've since learned). I think I've just the wrong manual, because all the roof trim seems to fit. Although when I removed the interior light and popped the front headliner down, I noticed a relay at the front of the sun-roof, which had a BMW logo. So maybe it is afterall.

As for pics, yes, soon as I get my digital camera. but not for a week or two.

I've lots of other issues to wok in the meantime...

:wink:

deag.

so were there ever any corrados built without a sun roof?

Yep, there are a few shells without and It didn't seem to have any relation to weather they had aircon or not.... :?

so were there ever any corrados built without a sun roof?

Yes my old Corrado had no sunroof or lecy windows. Just out of interset what model of Passat do you get the glass

sunroof from for the C conversion. Henny ?

93-96 Passat or MKIII golf... The passat one is the better one to go with as the curve of its roof is much closer to that of the Corrado than the Golf's roof... 8)

so is there any way of telling which Cs went without, and which did? Can you tell from a VIN what the original spec was?

I'd have thought the lack of a sunroof would kinda show that it wasn't supplied with one! :lol:

Or if it's got an external frame for the sunroof then it'll be an aftermarket one (the normal one fits flush with the roof and has no visible frame work from the outside... 8) )

Dunno if there's a way of telling from the VIN, but the options list on the sticker in the boot should show the lack of sunroof on there as one of the codes... I have no idea what the code would be though.... Sorry... 8)

Apparently the Passat estate roof is the flattest of the glass ones. Or so my breaker has observed. The curvature of the MK3 Golf one would be too pronounced when used on a C, or so I've observed at least.

K

Apparently the Passat estate roof is the flattest of the glass ones. Or so my breaker has observed. The curvature of the MK3 Golf one would be too pronounced when used on a C, or so I've observed at least.

Good man Kev. :idea:

K

*cough* didn't I tell you that at Inters when you were looking at that roof from Golfnutz?!? ;) :p

If it does so without gouging the passenger side rear of the roof panel (externally), the mechanism is OK.

Picked up my first C last night, a few things I missed. One was that there are ARE gouge marks on the rear of the sunroof above the passenger seat. Doh! :roll:

The motor works it tilts, opens and closes.... but gouges!

Sounds like it's a common(ish) problem.

Any ponters of where to look to see what is gouging and what to do about it?

Thanks