fendervg

VR6 Clutch master cylinder and pedal replacement

I've just recently replaced my clutch slave to fix a sticking clutch issue (the rubber boot on the old one had completely perished and torn and fluid was seeping past the piston seal) and I now want replace the master cylinder as I know from experience that this is likely to go soon.

After much searching I was able to locate a new master, part#358721388, which was listed as the correct part for my chassis number, but on closer examination, I seem to have the older type of cylinder, not 358721401, which is the longer older type, but probably 358721401B, which is shorter but still has the hook type attachment to the pedal rather than the later white plastic clip.

After doing some searching here, I found out that I can use the later one if I replace the clutch pedal, using these parts:

Clutch pedal 3A2721315

Mounting clip 1HO721357 (this clip is already on the new master cylinder, so won't need to order this)

Guide 191721421 (what does this part do, and where does it go?)

Is swapping over the pedal an easy job and is there anything to watch out for? Cheers.

I remember having trouble sourcing a new one for mine. Seems to be one of those strange parts on a corrado.

Ended uo getting my original one refurbished by a company called pastparts i think. Came back like new, cost about £105ish

Yes I think I remember reading the master cylinder is obsoleted by VW. Which is a major safety issue, frankly. There are third party parts available however. I like the idea of having them professionally refurbed though.