vr6paul

Electric windows and relays?

Folks,

I am trying to get to the bottom of the fact my passenger side electric window goes down all on its own.

When i bought the car it had a blown fuse above what looks like relay 90 (above the fuse box).

I have replaced the window control unit with a spare, and replaced the fuse which allows the windows to work but the problem persists.

The pass side window goes down (i put it up then it immediately goes down and very quickly blows the fuse).

Could one of the switches be staying closed making the window go down?

I will try and check wiring where it enters the door itself.

Perhaps the relay?

On reading up it sounds like that relay (90) is for fuel pump run on - has someone previously just used a spare relay kicking about?

So many questions !

What number relay should be there?

And where abouts should that number 90 relay actually be?

Any help, as always, greatly appreciated.

thanks

paul

I'm pretty sure the window control logic is all in the window control box (behind the right-rear "door" card) - the thing you have already changed.

Is it just the passenger side causing problems? It could be the motor in the passenger door, or a short along the wiring in/to the door.

I can't see the window switch causing a problem as the control box should clunk a relay to remove the power from the motor.

Try disconnecting the window switches and see if the problem persists?

Also, can you lower the windows on the key (maybe that is a Mk3 thing...)?

Thanks again - will give that a try. My car seems to have no central locking (yet to investigate that!) so not sure there is currently any control over windows with the key. Cheer again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So unplugged pass side window switch today - refitted relay and new fuse. Window seems to stay up. And central locking seems to have kicked in too lol! Anyway I guess that switch is knackered. Anyone got a spare? Is the ones that fit flush against the door (rather than built into the door pocket if that makes sense). The single pass side switch I'm after. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk