scott1980

16v 9a running issues, help needed

I've had a gander in the posts and can't find my specific problem...so here goes !

My 16v has been off road snoozing in my garage for over a year, and want to get it back on the road.

I occasionally started it up and got it up to temp with no issues, but now the idle is rough as shizen and won't hold on its own. In fact a short while ago it would hold revs fine but die instantly as soon as the throttle was released regardless of temp.

I've had a similar issue bringing it out of storage before, cleaning the ISV sorted that. Tried cleaning the ISV but no joy, ordered a cheap new one fitted it today and it idled like a dream...for 5 minutes then revs dropped and died. It won't rev freely now, starts, idles low for around 10 seconds and dies. Startup is fine, will rev but horribly !...then dies.

Steps I've taken so far

Emptied tank +fresh fuel

New dizzy and rotor

New ISV

The ISV was an eBay special (new) metal body which worked a treat for a short time, do I spend a bit more than £30 on a Bosch/VDO or look for a problem elsewhere ?

Thanks in advance guys !

Whilst Your in there, chance the fuel filter For starters then check that the air funnel isn't getting jammed because of gum and muck around the edge of the inlet funnel. Try checking the actual fuel pressure too, the injection system fitted to the KR 1800 and 2.0 9A 16v engines rely heavily on correct fuel pressure.

Obviously, diagnosing a car over the net ain't easy..

Also worth having a check of the fuel metering head to make sure the sprung bit is clean and free moving , and also the throttle potentiometer(throttle position switch), try unplugging it and see if it makes any difference. Oh and also check the wee vacuum lines that go from the airbox to under the rubber boot at the throttle body, for some reason they can effect the idle as far as I remember......it's been a while though:)

pm me an email address and I'll try to find my copy of the VAG workshop sections I have for the K-jet and 9A KE-jet system, from memory the vacuum system, temperature sensors and lambda are pretty key to getting the 9A running right at idle, plus the microswitch on the throttle body to trigger the idle circuit in the first place, if the tamper proof cap on the metering head on the 9A has been messed with it can be very dirricult to get things right as these are factory calibrated

Cheers guys, leads have arrived but don't have the cycle sensor on the 4th lead (doh!)

Started again from cold today, kicked up, idled fine for a while, this time I gave some revs and back to idle then went lumpy and died 🙁

Going to pick up a fuel filter tomorrow, wasn't that long since I changed it (when it was on the road) but could have gunked up.

Completely forgot about a running issue prior to taking it off road, needed lots of revs to set off otherwise it would kangaroo like mad. I'll have good clean and degunk of the necessaries too.

Think I checked the switches for continuity a while ago but I'll have another gander.

I've sent a visitor message (?) davidwort, hopefully have a read of the VAG info 👍🏻

Update: Found a couple of large splits in the flexi boot on top of the meter, sealed but no joy. Fitted a new lambda probe today (absolute mare to get out! Map gas and swinging on the spanner!) up and running again 😄.

Cheers chaps...insurance and MOT time next week 😧