jamin

Oil Cooler Hose Replacement

Hi all,

Looks like I have a slight water leak coming from the oil cooler hose that connects to the engine block, I can see the hose looks almost split near the connector to the oil cooler but it like looks a nightmare to get to, can anyone offer any tips before I get my hands dirty?

Thanks in advance.

VR6? Funnily enough I had this replaced recently.. you can get a new pair of hoses for about £16 off eBay, but you will probably snap the plastic crack pipe union whilst removing the hose from it so get one of those too. If you're unlucky you might lose some parts of the thermostat housing too.. they inevitably go brittle over the years.

As for access, disconnect the inlet manifold at the joint to the cylinder head lift it out the way and you should have enough space to get in.

Yes, sorry, its a VR6. Many thanks for your advice here, most helpful.

Removing the oil filter carrier will make a lot easier and can then be done without removing manifold. Personally I'd renew oil cooler seal and filter carrier seal which are propbably equally old and brittle and been known to leak, and treat it to oil and filter change.

Removing the oil filter carrier will make a lot easier and can then be done without removing manifold. Personally I'd renew oil cooler seal and filter carrier seal which are propbably equally old and brittle and been known to leak, and treat it to oil and filter change.

This too is good advice, I was thinking of getting the car serviced soon and so it would be a perfect time to get these sorts of jobs done also.

Why oh why didn't i read this before the weekend... Had the same leaking pipe of the oil cooler , went to pull it off and took the plastic bit out of the water pipe...... NOT happy . Now i have to replace this too... How big a job is it to get in ??? Do i need to take out the rad ,grill and lights . I am no mechanic at all but need to try and sort it :(

Why oh why didn't i read this before the weekend... Had the same leaking pipe of the oil cooler , went to pull it off and took the plastic bit out of the water pipe...... NOT happy . Now i have to replace this too... How big a job is it to get in ??? Do i need to take out the rad ,grill and lights . I am no mechanic at all but need to try and sort it :(

For ease of access I'd take the front end off, it won't take you too long. Just support the engine as you'll need to remove the bumper. Take your time, bag and tag any bolt you take off, take pictures to remind yourself how it goes back together.

As for the crack pipe, you may well need to clean the block where it goes in as it tends to be a bit rusty/bunged up with old coolant/mess. If you don't get it clean the new O ring won't seat correctly and will leak. Also you might need a new thermostat housing(the other end of said pipe, as everything will be brittle sadly. There is never just one job :lol: