dr_mat

Sanding decking.

Orbital sander or belt sander? Or even something else? Any experience to share?

We have about 35m2 to sand and treat. The boards have fine grooves. I can't guarantee all the screws sit totally below the surface but they aren't sticking up much. It's about 10 years old I would guess and has been sporadically cared for. I've pressure washed it nice and clean but there's a lot of splinters etc..

Cheers!

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

glad i read all of your post as i initially thought jet wash it as i did mine a couple of weeks ago & it came up like new

i dont think the previous owners of my house cleaned, like anything ever lol

as for the splinters i can share a bit of my experience from restoring my house stair case & stairs

first a question to ask yourself would be - what level of finish do you want?

if you want a super fine, very smooth to the touch finish then likely both orbital & belt sanders

also, it depends if you already have the kit or need to hire/lend it - i have both thanks to my late brother in laws father

my stairs were horribly grimey when i took the carpet & underlay up, you could clearly see where the old skool center section carpet originally ran up them

i used a belt sander to being with using an 80 grit belt - this did a cracking job at getting the bulk done quickly. holy moly it was vicious though, you had to literally hold it back from running off lol

the finish it left was not appropriate for the stairs though as i wanted to put a hard wearing clear wax on them. the entire staircase turned out to be beautiful pine under all the grime :D

as such i then used an orbital with 120 grit pad, which took its time but produced a very nice to touch & even finish

it would be possible to use a different grit belt i guess but i doubt the finish would be as per the orbital due to the different way the orbital works in comparison to a belt

hopefully that will give you a bit of info to mull over

I don't know about decking, but as above really it depends on the finish you want. Being outside I assume it doesn't need to be like glass.

I hired a Belt Sander when doing my bedroom a few years back. Like anything there were different grades of on the belts. I can't remember what I went up to, but likely around 250 grit, which left a beautiful finish on the floor boards. I then matt varnished them and they still look amazing now.

Its very quick with a belt sander so you'll likely only need it for a day, but the belts themselves can be quite expensive.

Yes, thanks for that.

I'm getting a number of votes for belt sander as the initial bulk prep method with a course grain belt. That will probably do, tbh, it's not an internal surface and it doesn't need to be super smooth. Just really needs the loose splinters taking off that's all.

I am inclined to buy a belt sander for this job as it's something I ought to do every couple of years. The belts can be pricey but e.g. screwfix sell packs of five for about £7.

I am inclined to buy a belt sander for this job as it's something I ought to do every couple of years. The belts can be pricey but e.g. screwfix sell packs of five for about £7.

i use screwfix for the belts & orbital discs too

a decent brand hand held belt sander is fairly pricey but from experience a better brand is a must really as the cheap ones do not last at all. ive been through 3 of the little ryobi ones on the stairs but at least they were all replaced FOC

where abouts are you located? are you close to west mids?

I'm down near Reading, but I was looking at the midrange Makita 4" sander. It's about a hundred quid at screwfix. Looks like a good compromise to me.

I'm down near Reading, but I was looking at the midrange Makita 4" sander. It's about a hundred quid at screwfix. Looks like a good compromise to me.

i see - a little too far for an offer of a loan of mine then lol

Yes, but appreciate the thought! I will pick up the Makita tonight and probably give it a whirl later in the week or at the weekend.

Yes, but appreciate the thought! I will pick up the Makita tonight and probably give it a whirl later in the week or at the weekend.

pleasure m8

have fun when you do. i find sanding very satisfying & rewarding when you get the end result you want

with some elbow grease ive managed to turn a couple of my house internal doors from marked & dull 'just' doors into lovely 'features' & the stair case looks a world away from the gloss painted crap when i first moved in :D