16vMatt

Considering a MK2 Golf GTi

Ive had 2 vr6 Corrados and now have a mk2. I don't know what it is but I just prefer the Golf. It handles really well but I found it wonders about on the motorway compared to the Corrado, not sure if there is a difference in wheelbase or not?

Ive had 2 vr6 Corrados and now have a mk2. I don't know what it is but I just prefer the Golf. It handles really well but I found it wonders about on the motorway compared to the Corrado, not sure if there is a difference in wheelbase or not?

Might just be worn stuff in the steering department, but the Mk2's lighter and taller than a Corrado, which you can feel in strong sidewinds. My old Mk2 which was much lower than the current one and with polybushes all round handled like a go-kart, but was super harsh with it. The current one has a Koni STRT kit, which is a lot more comfortable. The one big mistake I made on the old one was polybushing the rear beam, which made the whole car feel really brutally hard. Standard bushes definitely the way to go there ime.

A quick google, btw, suggests that the wheelbase of the Corrado is 1mm longer, though the VR6 is Widetrack which I guess might make some difference.

On the rear suspension of 80s and 90s VW you will lose the slight passive rear steering if you go non-OE for bushing. This is what gives the car its turn-in and agility in fast corners, but does also contribute to a degree of instability in a few rare circumstances.

Oh and the whole design is archaic, so yes the rear is the source of most of the body-crashing bone shaking harshness..

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Look forward to seeing the photos. It's a long time since I was in a Mk2. Last one was an Oak Green 16v 5 door with rainbow stripe interior. Bought it sight unseen for £925. Turned up to collect in middle of winter and found passenger window down, full of twigs and rain! It was on 179k miles and in a rough state. It did have working AirCon though which I think is pretty rare on them. It needed constant coolant top ups and just about made the 200 miles home. Ran it locally for several months and it was a lovely old thing. Sold it on for slightly more than what I paid for it but doubt it's on the road now as it was so far gone. Lovely modern classics if well maintained. Enjoy