annavr6

Front disc backing plate help

Hey all

Currently rebuilding my mk2 VR6. I bought some of my lovely brand new disc brake backing plates we produced at work to replace the rusty as hell ones on the car. Just working through replacing what i can. Slight issue, the M6 bolts that hold the plates onto the carrier are rounded to fork and are not coming out. They just spin where the head has rounded.

So any ideas to get them out as i would like to replace them. Have tried heat, no luck. Can i drill them out and tap a new thread for say M8 in the carrier? One has space for a nut on the back so this one i am not too worried about drilling out but the other doesnt and just screws into the carrier.

Yeah, grind the head off, then drill and tap. You could try adding some weld to give something to grip onto as an alternative, this also heats the bolt pretty well of course so will help free it.

Yeah, grind the head off, then drill and tap. You could try adding some weld to give something to grip onto as an alternative, this also heats the bolt pretty well of course so will help free it.

A welder is one thing i dont have unfortunately.

I've found Irwin bolt removers work well, especially on the end of a decent impact driver, or could try make a notch in them and try to turn them with a hammer and chisel.

If you don't have a set of Irwin extractors I'd be inclined to grind the head of the bolts off to remove the existing back plate. Center punch the bolt ends then drill and tap.

M6 is drill diameter 5.0mm but start with a 3mm pilot (or less if you have a steady hand).

Taking care you should be able to run a M6 tap through to clear the remains pf each bolt.

If all else fails drill oversize to M7.

Thank you everyone. Will give all these ideas a go. I kind of feel like ive changed or restored everything else under there so i feel ive done half a job if i leave these in place. Especially as they are now an available part.

L3ahi2UU3XYBa15Vak7f5NWXv_WAEPxw73riYNBR2x2jtLAGG2SbOzXOV1c1kWJhQfTAl5qJs2X3HAdkdSWjphEzoHL81F4088kBJ4hHQAE7HJwszuFs0ICtdYxvdbC5MSGI-mBP-rL3w7ehp1wTUIA-0jRLnYwKf8xMRHOXWcerw83G8fvNf6xQzwKgYQTrt0nhrnw1qz722WbvTAuDvq9k4XPhkyZjrN8h8MPmjSIfmpD3KOXBDsYWcdsj9AS9efEh26uXelk8tELyo9T5Ja00T1MSnqnSfy6KlEMHeHGc-jMqIewfnHpwkBKpdOuThLizMts-Q6Xiovsb5l9f89EfUfCd4KXd0I9reclTetB0eXAlV4u8QTkUozQawg_Sa8nr31r6AhCFbFEba8V7sbGJING1k93Kuv7u9lW3yBhbCekK7Stjc25-DblNuYdcCFDNI-FKBD4iZ8truFrSaWWWQsmEWh74fJ9-Q-44pil1PzZzMRTM8gvVZaXDr_klqkyke1zm-rlPhkgFbV7p-ZoefTGbV4fYoEh2Cr-nlHXDpBPdYVJY-j0LTSxFUsnpv1o5_q8k2uZRPYTpEwrmlf78-OWe9owp5uGDyY9hGj98oufE6hlpsxg=w718-h957-no

Just had exactly the same issue - Snap-on bolt removers, clout it on with a hammer, it undoes like a normal bolt.

I've just done the same and in the end had to drill the bolts out.

Where do you get the backing plates from? The ones vw heritage sell didn't fit my vr6.

I've just done the same and in the end had to drill the bolts out.

Where do you get the backing plates from? The ones vw heritage sell didn't fit my vr6.

From VW Heritage, we do the correct ones here at work. There is another set that fit 280mm but G60 only not VR6. Maybe these are what you have?

From VW Heritage, we do the correct ones here at work. There is another set that fit 280mm but G60 only not VR6. Maybe these are what you have?

Interesting, do you have a link to those ones? When I was looking there were a few listed in the corrado section but all of the wrong type.

Interesting, do you have a link to those ones? When I was looking there were a few listed in the corrado section but all of the wrong type.

They are not on the site yet, waiting the photo to be uploaded, Part number to order is 3A0-615-311/312 so you should be able to compare that to the part number you ordered

That's the ones that fit your VR mate. They are stronger and better now that Anna got involved in reproducing them.

So a big to her and all at Heritage

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk