CCorrado

Yeah! I have got my 1st Corrado

Hi there!

I have decided to register here since... I am one lucky woman who finally made it to put her 'paws' on her dream car from the 90s: VW Corrado. :cheers:

I managed to find a '91 car in really good status, solar roof working, back wing working, leather interiors in perfect condition, and with engine changed to Audi AGU 1.8t 20v.

The car was not really in use when I got it, the previous owner had it more or less into the garage all time since he bought it a few years ago, so he hasn't used it a lot lately. Now that I use it daily as my main car, I found some failures on it and here is when I am searching for some assistance, if possible :) Please keep in mind that I am not a mechanic or a car expert (even though I am fully up to learn and 'dig' into the car)... I am actually a newbie in this world, so expect many dumb questions! And sorry for my sloppy english sometimes, it's not my main language.

Planning to bring it to an inspection and general check ASAP of course, but I would like to get some expertise Corrado owners feedback before...

- Wipers: The wipers from the driver side are not working properly, they have not enough tension or something similar, so when I action them, the water is not cleaned from certain parts. The blades are fine I am 100% sure 'cause I changed them, should I need to buy new arms? The original, any compatible ones.. or any website where can I get used ones? What would be your suggestion? Anything to keep in mind?

- Box Lights: Not working since some days ago. Might be the fuses, right? I haven't had the time to check the fuses since I noticed it, will check ASAP but I just wanted to ask. Is it hard to access the fuses? :bonk:

- Problems to start the car: Ok, this is the big one actually, and I am aware that the car does not have the VW engine, but maybe you guys can guide me a bit with it. The car when it's warm it simple does not start, when I drive it fresh in the morning so to say, it starts perfectly. But when I drive for a while and I stop and I try to start the car again, it simply doesn't. I have to wait for some time and then it starts smoothly. From my experience with the car and after an exhaustive investigation about the engine online, and troubleshooting driving so to say, I assume this is something related with the temperature (even the engine is in OK levels), the coolant temperature sensor or the crank sensor. Am I correct? What do you guys think?

Shall I try to change those sensors by myself? I would need the diagnose "reader" to not be blind and just waste my time trying to fix something without a clue, right?

Kindly take a look into this link, this guy experienced the same scenario as me:

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/238484-hot-start-issues-mkiv-18t-agu-golf-resolved/

Btw, I have changed the sparkling plugs myself, it was the first thing I thought it could be when it happened first time.

As I mentioned above, I will bring it to a mechanic.. but my concern is that I do not know any trustworthy mechanic here in the area of Stockholm (Sweden) since I am new in this city, and I want to do the best for the car to keep it in the best condition possible. As I said, I am not "into" cars in a hardcore way, but I am aware of the value of this car (at least for me, it's a jewel I want to keep for as longer as I can in the best condition and loyal to the original design line of the car, not modify it). So I decided to ask before going to a mechanic and look like I have no clue how my car is, and which failures it might have...

Thanks everybody who reads this,

All feedback is very very appreciated, and if you are from Stockholm and you know a good mechanic, then I will have no words to show my gratitude.

Cheers!

Edited by CCorrado