michaelbailey

Pop goes the gearbox

Hi all,

The day the vr goes bad has come and with quite a bang (literally). Although i suppose its not the vr but the gearbox. Anyways, time for a bit of an overhaul since its coming apart. New gearbox of course, new clutch no doubt, new timing chain kit (145k miles still on original) and i was thinking maybe worth cracking on with a few more jobs. She has a bit of a knock on startup until oil reaches it and runs very nicely when warm would that be worth looking at refurbing the head or am i just using ****ty oil (10w40 from tesco, the cheap stuff at that as it tends to need topping up regular). Is there any lsds on the market that are good value or a lightened flywheel or worth a skim on the original fly wheel? Basically with the miles shes on a really good service to make her good for another 140k. Thanks in advance 👍

Edit oil on floor not using👌 no smoke pulls strong

I would say go ahead with the chain kit, i'm still pondering mine however gearbox has to come off so might aswel.

Check pick up pipe in the sump or even the pump, they rarely go bad but oil starvation is severe.

Shouldn't need the head refurbing unless there's some thing obviously not right.

Oil. Use 10 40 synta silver semi synthetic , from TPS or vw or anywhere really. It's what vw would put in it.

Chains guides and tensioner. May as well do these when gb is off. You could look into upgrading the tensioner and bolt to a 12v mk4 jobbie (banana) as it's a much better design.

Oil. Use 10 40 synta silver semi synthetic , from TPS or vw or anywhere really. It's what vw would put in it.

Chains guides and tensioner. May as well do these when gb is off. You could look into upgrading the tensioner and bolt to a 12v mk4 jobbie (banana) as it's a much better design.

Tell me more?? MK4 tensioner?

What happened to the gearbox? 2nd gear synchro broken?

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Diff pin(s) exploded probably. Yes valve guides are normally shot by 100K and the knocking noise is piston slap.

LSD and flywheel not worth it imo. The money would be better spent on decent suspension & brakes instead.

They piston slap when new, don't worry about it unless it's burning a **** ton of oil..

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.