virtuoso23

VR6 Oil Leak

Hi guys, decided to drive the VR6 to work today and when I got home I noticed drops of oil all down the drive, took a look underneath and the right hand side is fairy wet, the power steering pump is also covered.

Popped the bonnet and noticed the alternator is wet through.

20170914_175902.jpg

20170914_175923.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and start stripping it down this weekend but any ideas on what the cause of this may be??

Thanks

Cam cover gasket maybe? Has the cover been removed recently?

Try to repair it quickly as the oil might bugger the alternator too.

Cam cover has never been off during ownership however there is a small leak on the right hand side below the fuel pressure regulator, however it is so minor I decided not to bother.

I can't see any leaks from the gasket on the right side of the engine however the rest is obscured by the manifold.

You think it's a good chance its the rocker cover gasket? Hopefully it is, easy fix.

Just to note I reckon the leak has been progressive as I noticed a leak a few months ago, changed out the oil cooler and seals and all was okay until recently.

I can't see it being the oil cooler plate, it's on the opposite side of the alternator, could be wrong though, with these cars anything is possible..

Clean the effected area best you can with a can of spray brake cleaner then start the engine, put a small mirror under the manifold and see if you can trace any leaks.