Sign in to follow this  
Gareth

advice plz... buying a VW polo

im going with a friend and he is buying a 1992 J reg 1.3CL polo.....

..any advice welcome with regards to what to look out 4...

any common problems??

is there places on the car i should look 4 common rust points??

Engine problems??

i'll look 4 the obvious things like CV boots, ball joints, wheel bearings, exhust......

maybe theres things ive not thought of looking at n was just looking 4 sum help :)

Thanx in advance 4 all ur help

buy my polo GT lol

its good little run around i wouldnt expect anyone to spend any money on it over the next year :D

I had a 1992 J polo 1.3CL (it was white and the estate shape) and it was as reliable as anything I've ever had. Mechanically very sound and easy to fiddle with.

Brakes are pretty pathetic as standard but not too much to replace. Bodywork should still be in good condition with corrosion rare unless its been taken swimming in the sea regularly.

Overall a superb little workhorse that lugged tonnes of my gear around (including all the way to the Pyrenees) when I was a studey.....Oh the good old days....sigh

polos rock,

mines been used and abused and quite happily goes on day in day out,

i got given it with a seized engine (head gasket had gone and it had been sat with water in the bores) pured boiling oil down the bores slowly got it to turn over by hand then cleaned the bores up.

its done 14k since and never missed a beat, i guess the compression will not be great, but it just keeps going.

i would check signs of headgasket failure, and check the crank breather on the back of the block isnt blocked as these can cause a few headaches

yep :-P , not as low tho

and now its got one 13" steel and battered down the side, due to a hong kong dude in a rental car, and he has not admitted liabillity and i can not prove it was nt my fault, so the claim is still ongoing :evil: :cry:

Best site for Polo owners is http://www.uk-polos.net

I used to own a MK3 GT up until about 4 months ago.

Things to check for:

* Rusted petrol tank neck: Cheap to buy from G&S but a real pain to replace!

* Rust underneath the battery tray: From battery acid mainly, if really bad can be an MOT fail.

* Usual, wheel bearings etc etc

* Can't remember much more! :-P

I've had 3 polo's. Cracking little cars first 1 a 89 F 1000cc, 2nd a 92 J G40, 3rd a 93 K G40.

First polo was a feckin gem owned it for 3 years no problems whatsoever, built up my no claims bonus!

Second Polo was about my 5th car, which was basically the car of my dreams. Lived upto all expectations very quick, extremely reliable and went like feck and also very rare!

Third Polo was about my 12th car, knew it was cheap to run etc etc but the novelty had kind of worn off- been there done that sort of thing. Had Fords etc etc. So I'm now on my 17th car which is a corrado VR6. What I'm basically trying to tell you is buy it. VW 's are in a different league altogether 8)

Seeing Scruffdubbers MK3 Coupe makes me want to buy another one!

Currently on my third Polo (2 9n's and one 2F), cracking cars but you can't beat the style of a Corrado, not for the money anyway 8)

Have a good look at the fuel tank, the filler neck goes up the rear arch and is a prime area for corrosion if not kept clean, if its going then a whole new tank is needed....