Corrado rob

Help 2.0 16 v

Hey people hope all are good 👍 Am new to this and need some advice please :) took my 2.0 16 corrado to my mate who has a garage he did a test that the says that some point the head is gonna go :/ I know my water pump has a leak and it's not been ran a lot but wondering if it's a good idea

To get the head done now obviously for cash can anyone tell me how much it would be fitted? Also anything else that needs done if you do head ? He has told me to sell :/ 👎

Cheers

A good head refurbishment would probably cost you in the region of £300-£500, then plus labour for removal and refitting.

What exactly is the diagnosis / symptoms that have lead your friend to believe there is a problem with the head?

£300 -£500 plus labour 🙈 Thought all in be £300 ish :/

He said that he tested on something and normally it goes of right away if someone's head is due to go but mine took sometime till it give him that :/ not sure of machine he used am not very mechanical just love corrados sadly with one it's helps if you are 🙈😂

Probably put the CO meter's 'sniffer' above the coolant header tank to see if it detected any unburnt HC's present, this is sometimes done as there's no way your gonna get unburned HC's in the cooling system otherwise.

I've never heard of a machine that tells you if the headgasket is gonna let rip soon, i wonder if i bring him my lottery ticket, his machine could maybe tell me if i'm gonna win..

Christ, that's a still alot..

I should be a millionaire by now the amount i've done over the years..

If you wanna diy it, or try, my advice is free mate..

It does depend on how far you go.

As mentioned you’ve probably had a HC presence test by the sounds of things.

If you know you have an issue it is best to sort it out rather than run the car really.

To change the gasket you need as a bare minimum:

New head gasket

New cambelt kit

New cylinder head bolts

New coolant

Probably looking at £100+ (for decent parts) retail cost on those parts depending on where you get them.

Labour is always the major part of any bill. You have to bear in mind these jobs on these cars can be lengthened by a number of hours due to old fixings and components that don’t come undone as they should.

Valve stem seals and guides do wear on these heads and lead to oil consumption, so as you’re removing the head and are looking to keep the car you might want to consider going to this length if you can afford it. However, as it’s already been mentioned the price of an entirely rebuilt head comes with a higher cost.

Graphite has this spot on. Head gasket isn't a huge amount of labour on a 16v and your mechanic mate should be able to help you out. Torque settings are all in the Passat Haynes manual (covers the 9A engine):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haynes-VW-Passat-service-and-repair-manual-May-1988-to-1996-petrol-and-diesel/332400409470

There is plenty of information over on ClubGti about how to set up timing after you've refitted everything. Make sure you turn the engine over using a socket on the crank pulley after reassembly to ensure that the valves don't clash with the cylinders.

I'd spend the time with your mate whilst he does this, it's a good learning experience :-)

As others have said "the heads gone" is a very broad diagnosis.... and I definitely wouldn't sell it just for that.

My advice would be have a go yourself... the parts are cheap and there's a wealth of knowledge on here.