Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

New person desperate to get into a Corrado! :D

Hello people, new to the forums but not the VW scene 8)

Basically, I'll be 19 very soon and I'm desperate to get a Corrado as my next car.

It doesn't matter what engine it is as either way it'll be faster than what I have at the minute :-P

So basically, three questions

1) What engine/MK is cheapest on insurance? (and can you recommened any friendly ones)

2) Which has the best MPG figure (not the best thing to be looking for in a Corrado I know, but every little helps! :wink: )

3) What problems should I be looking out for and should I be able to get a near mint example for what I'm paying?

Basically, my plan is to get a extremely clean one, garaging it and taking it out just for the weekends :D

Thanks all for your help :)

Cheers

Neil

1) What engine/MK is cheapest on insurance? (and can you recommened any friendly ones)

2) Which has the best MPG figure (not the best thing to be looking for in a Corrado I know, but every little helps! :wink: )

3) What problems should I be looking out for and should I be able to get a near mint example for what I'm paying?

Basically, my plan is to get a extremely clean one, garaging it and taking it out just for the weekends :D

Thanks all for your help :)

Cheers

Neil

welcome to the forum :D

right insurance-wise IIRC its the 1.8 16v(139bhp) which is the cheapest to insure........the lower powered 2.0 8v(115bhp) is meant to be 1 group higher for some weird reason :?

MPG wise.........the 2.0 8v will/should be more economical than both 16-valvers

and have a look in the "common corrado question" section for a good buying guide to help you sort the wheat from the chaff

Cheers

Neil

How much are you looking at paying? :wink:

I'd go for the 2.0 8V personally, for three reasons:-

1) They're late cars and got all the refinements the VR6 did, but some didn't have a sunroof, so watch out for that.

2) It has more usable torque for urban driving than the 16V and it's a very reliable and quiet motor.

3) All the 8Vs I've seen have been mint. Bought by people not interested in shredding tarmac and well looked after.

K

Wow! Talk about a quick reply :D

Looking at paying £2500-£3000 sorry :oops:

well that should get you into decent examples of all models bar the G60 and VR6 :wink:

Wow! Talk about a quick reply :D

Looking at paying £2500-£3000 sorry :oops:

well that should get you into decent examples of all models bar the G60 and VR6 :wink:

Excellent! :D

Just gotta wait until I complete pass plus and get some insurance money sorted!

Proper Bo! 8)

As a random guide for you, I paid £1250 for insurance on my G60 TPFT, I'm 19 with 0 NCB, that was with elephant. So should be a bit cheaper than that if you were to go for one of the other models (except VR6 :wink: )

Thats very good! I paid more than that 3rd party for my Polo GT! :|

Keyhaywire, I'm 99% sure I see your car on the way to work, do you travel down Wherstead Road very often? I'm pretty sure I've even gone past you a couple of times on the one way system near KFC, though I was in a company A6 at the time so you wouldn't have even noticed a fellow VW nut :-P

This is my car by the way, which i'll probably be running alongside the Raddo 8)

mkivmeet%20004.jpg

(sorry for bad picture!)

2003 Polo FSi Sport

Mods:

* Cubby box mod

* Bora Sunglasses holder

* Chrome grille

* Lowered 50 mil on Eibach springs

* Shortened standard ariel

* Votex/Vw rear window sunblind

* VW First aid Kit

* VW Loadliner

* VW warning triangle

* VW rear window sunblind

* Votex rear spoiler (not in pics)

* K&N panel filter

* VAG Blue sidelight bulbs

* SKN tuning chip

* Votex Rear Spoiler (not in pics)

* Fully colour coded (Not in pics)

* Retrofit cruise control

Wheels were an optional extra and they are called San Marinos, £430 each if I kerb one! :shock:

That looks really nice Supercharged, but I don't think they'd drop a grand :(

Either way, I can't actually get the car until November, plus the Garage isn't ready and I wouldn't really want it until January-March even then. I'd be too scared to loose it in the Winter months!

That may sound like i'm over-reacting but I crashed my GT the first night I got it. :oops: Luckily it only had minor damage, but it could've been much worse, I was only 2 foot away from a road sign!

So it looks like I'll have to hold on for a while, gives me a chance to browse this forum and gain some knowledge :D

Does anyone know if facelift Corrados (92-95) came in that Burgundy Mettalic colour? Just seen that colour on autotrader and I really like that.

What colours PhatVR6's Corrado? Pretty sure thats a burgundy metallc...

Keyhaywire, I'm 99% sure I see your car on the way to work, do you travel down Wherstead Road very often? I'm pretty sure I've even gone past you a couple of times on the one way system near KFC, though I was in a company A6 at the time so you wouldn't have even noticed a fellow VW nut :-P

Yep that's probably me if it's a purpley/bluey/grey coloured Corrado with no VR6 badges. I take Wherstead road out of town to Colchester every morning. Just avoid the roundabout on Hawes Steet opposite the Audi garage as Dinkus lost his VR6 on it!

Company A6 and a 1 year old Polo at 19!! You should be buying a G60 or a VR6!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a silver polo with roof-rack :wink:

Cheers

Kev

Yep, I've definately seen your car :)

My last Polo was brand spanking new, it was a 1.2 S though so it didn't have much go. However, It Was fantastic for traffic light races, there pretty quick 1st and 2nd gear!!!

Believe me I would buy a VR6 in a second :lol: But the only problem is I live in Sudbury which is a 45 minute drive to work so the fuel bill would be horrendous, hence the reason to stick to a 2.0 or 1.8 :( My Polo FSi (pic above) does 50mpg, so i'll be keeping that and taking out the Corrado when I feel like a thrash! :D

Just out of interest Kev, do you go to the CGTi meet at the Black Tiles?

I've been once or twice to the Black Tiles meets. Supercharged goes to those (First tuesday of the month isn't it?) so might go along with him on the next one!