robrado974

Fitting the door rubber.

This might seem a silly question but do I need to get the the rubber professionally fitted ?, I only ask as when I sorted the rust on top of the door I just pulled it away to get to what needed doing . But it’s very tight where it meets the plastic triangle part . I was not sure if you needed the tools for pushing the rubber home to the door . The last thing I need is to take it off and struggle to fit the new one . Obviously the triangle part needs to come off to which is easy enough, but as said it looks tight .

Kind regards

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just How it should be Rob. Putting it back on is easy, compared to removing the sods..

Just tsp it down using a Plastic mallet, align the strip with the door frame's rubber first and tap/push your way along. Once back in the door frame, check that the inner lip of the new strip seal has engaged along the top of the door frame's inner lip, I normally use a slim Jim that won't damage the seal's felt but a wide bladed paint scraper is also good.

One thing, get it right the first time and don't rush it 'cos if you put it back in off and it needs moving..your buggered, VERY difficult to remove.

Just How it should be Rob. Putting it back on is easy, compared to removing the sods..

Just tsp it down using a Plastic mallet, align the strip with the door frame's rubber first and tap/push your way along. Once back in the door frame, check that the inner lip of the new strip seal has engaged along the top of the door frame's inner lip, I normally use a slim Jim that won't damage the seal's felt but a wide bladed paint scraper is also good.

One thing, get it right the first time and don't rush it 'cos if you put it back in off and it needs moving..your buggered, VERY difficult to remove.

I think I will leave it , I go away on Thursday for a week and i only have today off . What a pain . The only reason I’m changing it , is because it has two tiny slits in it , like razor blade cuts . I don’t want water getting in. It feels smooth underneath so I don’t think there’s any surface rust .

Thanks vee

The splits across the very top bit of the seal? Very common and unfortunately they get worse with time, sunlight etc. I've got 4 spare ones, all split.. but with Rome's 30+ degree summers multiplied by 30 years it's only to be expected I suppose.

The splits across the very top bit of the seal? Very common and unfortunately they get worse with time, sunlight etc. I've got 4 spare ones, all split.. but with Rome's 30+ degree summers multiplied by 30 years it's only to be expected I suppose.

Mine are on the side .

6b6c0783cdb5042e436a2cdc30e02774.jpg