g1ng3r

Something feels loose

Afternoon fellow enthusiasts :cool:

Over the last few months I have noticed a knocking / loose feeling when going on and off the throttle or when engaging / disengaging the clutch, making it very difficult to drive the car smoothly.

Now the clutch itself is slightly grabby which is something I am going to look at but this loose feeling also occurs when going on and off the throttle. The engine mounts have now been replaced but were all in good condition anyway. The throttle damper has been adjusted but I feel this just masks the issue as something is obviously loose to the point where I can get an audible knock when driving enthusiastically.

Any ideas? :scratch:

CV joints? Wheel bearings? Wishbone joints? Do you also have steering unpredictability? Does the car weave on uneven roads when braking or accelerating?

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

Thanks for the reply dr_mat

Front wheel bearings are a month old - One was flagged during the last MOT so I replaced both.

The car does need tracking since the wheel bearings were replaced but the "loose" feeling did occur prior to this. The car otherwise feels stable under both accelerating and braking.

Wishbone is a possibility but I struggled to find any play in the current bushings.

CV joints look ok, not sure on the best way to test them though, but no obvious signs of leaking grease and I get no horrible noises when turning.

Track rod ends and drop links will be replaced next time I have some time off work but they all look fine.

There's rumours the subframe can shift but it seems unlikely to me.

How old are the shocks/top mounts? Are they standard? Reason I ask is one of the plates on the rear shock that holds the spring in place had rusted completely through. I remember the same sort of symptoms your describing.

There's rumours the subframe can shift but it seems unlikely to me.

Yes you are correct a sub frame could move but not enough to cause these sort of problems and it's very unlikely to have moved of its own accord unless it's been in a whack. Get it on a geo machine it will some tell you if it has moved.

Thanks for all the replies

I'll defiantly check the top mounts as they're probably a few years old now. I'd be very surprised if it's the sub-frame but I'll have a gander anyways.

Quick update..

I managed to take the afternoon off work and had a good look at everything again. Something I did spot when blipping the throttle was the front engine mount having some play, even though it was replaced only 12 months ago!

Anyway, I've ordered another replacement from vwheritage so hopefully this resolves the issue.

Quick question - Is it possible to release the front mount with all the others attached?

I did all of them in one go last time which enabled me to raise the engine by a good amount.

Yes if you support the engine then you will be able to drop the front cross member to give you the room you'll need.