George Lee

20v turbo conversion

Evening all

I've been reading up on 20v conversions as I'm looking to do it on my 2.0 16v.

I know the BAM engine is the best for bhp, so if I can find one I will if not an agu or something will do as I'm not looking to make loads of power. Would there be any difference installing the BAM compared to the others ?

Also I've read my 16v gearbox would bolt straight on just need a vr6 clutch ?

Or would I be best using the 20v gearbox? Not sure if this is a direct fit? Driveshafts etc.

Also do I need to do anything about fueling?

And I know vagtronics will do the loom for me.

Any advice and guidance is much appreciated as this will be my first engine swap.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

BAM is a stronger lump, also has the larger turbo (KO4), will need less fettling to make more power.

16V box will bolt straight on, from memory you will need a VR6/G60 clutch, so you wil be able to retain stock running gear.

Fueling wise you're good with 16v setup, just make sure its running well.

Downpipe wise go for a QPEng down pipe (not sure if thy still exist)

Edited by blue95

You will need the 02a flywheel to fit the 16v gearbox.

Gearbox choice makes a big difference depending on how you want to drive it, 16v is geared quite low so you have quicker acceleration but run out to soon so alot of people go for the diesel CTN box

I have 17" wheels so I've used the mk5 1.8T box (02J) which has a higher diff ratio and was designed for bigger wheels, but I have also fitted the 5th gear from my old 16v box to bring 5th gear cruising up a bit more. You will need different drive shaft cups for the 02J, I got some from a later diesel box

A 6 speed box from the mk4 is quite different to fit, there are braket kits out there but you will need shorter driveshafts, bit of a pain to do

AGU is also a strong engine. How far do you want to go with power?

A stage 1 BAM will give you 265bhp but a AUQ (later mk4) with the k03s will give you 230bhp, I've looked into fitting hybrid internals which should take it up to about 250bhp with a quicker spool time so faster acceleration than a stage 1 BAM

I dont know how much truth is in it but I did hear that the 16v KR fuel pump has higher pressure than the later 2.0 16v

Theres alot of info on the net, most of it good, some absolute balls, If you know how you want the car to drive you can research it

As above, I dont know if Qpeng are still about but there are other downpipes such as Trackslag