bgilca

G60 acceleration issue

After loads of problems, i finally managed to remain with just a bit left for my G60. When I first got the car, it was overfueling pretty badly across the rpm range, while idling and so. After a lot of servicing, for the past 3 years i’ve done as following: rebuilt the supercharger(g65 now) replaced the vac hose from ECU to throttle body, replaced oxygen sensor, replaced plugs and wires, replaced distribuitor, realigned the whole engine( the previous owner had the timing belt replaced, but I was unsure about the correctness of it since the car ran pretty badly), replaced blue temp sensor, set the intake potentiometer to ~500ohm, replaced the coil pack.

After all these changes, the car will run smoothly at idle, if slowly pressed the accelerator it will be all nice and smooth, if got up to speed it will balance itself nicely, the problem is when flooring it suddenly, it will overfuel and will start sputtering a cloud of black smoke. Also, recently noticed that for the first minute or so, i need to constantly keep it in region of 1-1.5k rpm otherwise it’ll cut out(just first start in a cold morning)

I was thinking maybe the FPR?

What do you guys think? Maybe electrical?

Reading what you have said above it sounds like you have always had an over-fuelling problem, changing the FPR would eliminate any excess fuel pressure issues, electrical issues in the pump and injectors usually results in lower fuel pressure.

What other mods have you done as it sounds like you need a mapping session, especially as you say you have now a G65 charger and probably gone with those green 440cc injectors plus a higher rated FPR which will dump way to much fuel at lower revs and when you floor it.

As Bauhaus has stated check the FPR and Fuel pump to ensure the fuel pressure is good.

I'd also take a look at the injector wiring. Most have gone very brittle / are breaking down by now.

Another check is the MAP sensor in the ECU. A faulty MAP will cause hesitation during acceleration.

Hello guys,

thanks for the help, I’ll try to replace the FPR, the overfueling issues were there since I got the car, with the original G60 lader which has gone unfortunately. The G65 however did not do any modification to this. It was still overfueling even if the afr should be higher. The problem is that i have no idea what the previous owner did to the car before selling it to me as he knew absolutely no english, and I don’t know how to speak dutch...

Also, no other mods have been done, haven’t yet replaced the injectors, nor the FPR, so now it should run rean rather than rich when flooring it.(at least from my logic)

Keep you posted on what happens after I change the FPR and make sure once again that the Ignition is spot on and hopefully it is finally working fine after 3 long years.

Thanks.

Edited by bgilca

Here is a doc which Darren and Steve of Gwerks/Pitstop developments gave me when I first got my G60, I have scanned the doc so hopefully you can read it, It may help you and anyone else setting up their fuelling and basic setup correctly..

Hello Guys,

I’m back with some updates. The FPR will arrive in few days so couldn’t test it, however, i removed the old FPR, and after 4 months of not running even once, it still had fuel in. Isn’t it supposed to drain if the FPR is busted?

Secondly, cheched my vacuum lines and found a line that is not in great shape. It’s the line from the back of the throttle body to the carbon canister shutoff valve. Can a boost leak here cause all of my problems? I don’t quite get the way the Carbon canister works.

Thanks!

Hello guys,

I did not managed to work on my car, however, i have managed to find a youtube video with a mk2 golf G60 with apparently the same simptoms as mine.

Any ideas that come to mind? It really sounds exactly the same and puffs the same quantity of black smoke when floored.

Thanks.