jared_nomak

Best Make or Pistons after rebore.

Hi

Just looking for opinions, my engine needs a rebore and they are suggesting 82.5mm Mahle Pistons would anyone say there is a better make or a different type I should go for.

Ross

Why not get a 2.8 block bored out to 2.9? That way you can use your existing pistons

The engine has only done 79k so want to keep the original engine the cost of the the rebuild the pistons are 600 plus vat but just not sure if there is a better make worth going for.

I put Mahle pistons in mine when I did it. They were perfect quality as far as I could tell and looked exactly the same as the OE pistons I took out. I know Mahle used to make OE Beetle pistons back in the day so I could believe they made the originals in a VR6.

(I bought mine from German Amazon at a right bargain price as I recall but that was a few years ago).

^ Agreed entirely, Mahle did do OEM VR6 pistons but there was also an alternative, unsure which years / models got which.

Mahle also made the OEM 1.8T and TFSI pistons among others, they usually do OE spec over sized pistons for re-bores as well as the Power Pack / Mahle Motorsport range.

For reference on Mahle Motorsport, they're used all the way through to factory Le Mans race cars :)

^ Agreed entirely, Mahle did do OEM VR6 pistons but there was also an alternative, unsure which years / models got which.

Mahle also made the OEM 1.8T and TFSI pistons among others, they usually do OE spec over sized pistons for re-bores as well as the Power Pack / Mahle Motorsport range.

For reference on Mahle Motorsport, they're used all the way through to factory Le Mans race cars :)

Mahle pistons and bearings are completely different to what Mahle Motorsport supplies, same parent company but serve different sectors, There is also a big price difference which is the usual for motorsport intended components.

If looking for replacement pistons for a road driven VR6 then Mahle or Kolbenschmidt are both oem piston suppliers for VW and you could have either one of those manufacturers piston sets installed as standard from VW, so going with either of these for a non tracked car is a good move.