Sign in to follow this  
Bojmobile

ABS light! Old problem!

Hey guys only been running the VR6 for two days now. First day had tonnes of fun with no problems but when I started the car up on the second day the ABS light came on and hasn't cleared since! Checked the forum for postings and see it's quite a common problem - take it that it's still fine to drive the car just be careful when braking until it's sorted? Before I need to go the VAGcom ruote etc. - what's the best course of action? Is it worth cleaning round the wheels first or something?

If the ABS light is staying on permanently, I'll wager it's a wheel sensor out. The brakes will work as normal but with no anti-lock. VW will charge you £65+ an hour, plus the scan, so have a look on the VAG-COM thread to see if anyone in your area has it, or buy it yourself as it's a wise purchase for VR owners.

first check to see if the ABS is actually working, use of a wet car park is usually advised.

Then get a multimeter and read the resistance across the ABS speed sensors, through their connectors (front are under the bonnet, onto of the struts, rears are ????). If they read drastically different from each other then it'll be them (difference being one is Kohms, one is Mohms). new sensors cost about 20 quid (from memory).

Other than that I don't have a clue, but check this first.

Kev, a multimeter will tell you if the sensors are shot.

you'll see an obvious difference in resistance

You really wanna get it fixed ASAP mate, I had a brown trouser moment on a slightly damp road the day mine went, and didn't drive it till I had fixed it.

Have a look for a post I made (if its still on the forum), search for me ']['H3R4POR as the author, and ABS in the title, that should explain it all mate.

[Edit] found it :) - http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic. ... hlight=abs [/Edit]

Yep- I'll second the multimeter trick. Just the same happened to mine luckily just days before I was getting the discs changed. £20 later it was all sorted.

IIRC the sensors should give a resistance of 1.4K if working correctly. If the coil has gone the resistance will be far higher. shouldn't worry too much- its very rarely the pump- Usually just sensors or abs rings :wink:

Mike

Yeah get the ABS seen to ASAP otherwise it won't be there when needed the most!

Yeah good call with the multimeter mate.

Ice White Socks, I was thinking it was around 1.5K, but didn't wanna say as I couldn't remember 100%, and didn't want him to go ordering a replacement for the working sensor ;)

Just have a scoot around with a multimeter, anything reading a crazy resistance (technical term) you can assume its blown/buggered.

You do have to take note of which one has gone, as thy are different for right/left and front/back, so order the right one ;) GSF were the cheapest supplier I think, around 20 notes (18 to be exact, I seem to remember).

Hope this helps mate.

Just had the same problem myself. A quick trip to my local independant garage and a free VAG COM showed OSF sensor faulty

Pop next door to GSF and a new sensor for £26.50 ex £31.14 inc dreaded VAT back home wheel off break out the old sensor (its bust and plastic, just smash it). Had to file the new one down a bit to get it to fit, plug it in, wheel on, Fault fixed.

Probably saved £60 labour. Dont pay to have it done, do this job yourself it is really easy.

Ian