eugopnosaj

Non-vw accident damage advice ASAP

Morning all.

Yesterday my Jeep and I were involved in a relatively slow side impact collision with a Fiesta (which came off a lot worse) I have accepted liability as I outright hadn't seen him, I've got protected NCD and I am ok to take responsibility for my actions. That aside I now face a very strong likelihood the Jeep will be written off.

I have spoken to my insurance company and have initially arranged for the Jeep to be collected, assessed and then a decision made however a bit of research myself has led me to believe I can fix her. The main reason I imagine they will write her off is the fact I need 2 doors, a wing and a cill. All of which are NLA as it is 20 years old.

I can get doors and the wing from breakers, albeit a different colour, and I have found some replacement cill parts, or some people cut them out and make step up platforms/rock sliders which could be the ideal solution as I want to make it more suitable for offroad.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?12046-Rocker-cutting-outage&highlight=rock+slider+weld

I don't know what damage there might be to the pillars however the drivers door and middle of the cill under the door took the brunt and the pillars both look ok. It being higher up, and "tougher" means I am hopeful the cill has done what it needed to.

What do you guys think? I am happy to do the work myself, and avoid giving it to the insurance company, as I don't want a CAT write off status.

They haven't contacted me to arrange collection, so I need to make a decision first. Although I can wait and see what the inspection is and then discuss my options with them, although I don't want a trigger happy inspector writing it off because they don't want to deal with it, being old and not inspecting it fully thinking of all the options ie self repair by me.

Edited by eugopnosaj

I had a non fault accident last year, the car stayed with me and I bought it back for 10% of the pre accident valuation.

They inspected the car on my drive and I made the decision to keep the golf there and then.

If the jeep is ok to drive bide your time and source panels in the correct colour, even if you have to drive 100s of miles to collect them you’ll be quids in.

Did that not mean that yours was written off if you had to buy it back? I can drive it but cannot open the drivers door so it probably isn't ideal to do so. Getting them in the right colour is probably just as difficult, if not harder than getting Corrado ones in the correct colour! All the breakers I have contacted have some but not in the right colours.

It was CAT N (non structural), CAT S is structural.

£1500 or £1350 and I kept the salvage, dented bumper, scratched grill and bonnet for an 03 plate Golf TDi estate.

I travelled 200 miles for a pair of classic green front wings for one of my Corrados, even further for a spare engine.

Oh right, and you were happy it being given a CAT N status?

Oh I've travelled distances to get various correct parts for my VR so that isn't an issue, I just might be waiting a long time to get the bits in the right colour, in the meantime I would only have my beetle to use which isn't suitable for a daily really. The VR is in the garage waiting for me to spend some time on her.

Oh right, and you were happy it being given a CAT N status?

I had no choice in the matter, I broke the car once the mot ran out.

Fair enough, I don't want to break the Jeep so I might just have to deal with all associated costs outside of the insurance instead to save it.