baff

Brake fluid reservoir full

Hi guys!

I recently purchased a 2.0 16v 9A Corrado with ABS, and I am having a break issue.

My brake fluid reservoir is full to the top with fluid. The brake pedal is spongy. The ABS light goes off after turning on the engine. ABS seems to work just fine. Should I bleed the brakes or just use a hose to empty some of the excess fluid?

Thanks for the help!

Has the fluid been changed recently.... it may have water/ condensation in it, if it's old... you can check it with a guage. But I'd prob do a complete fluid change... bleeding the brakes I find a nightmare on a corrado.

Sorry for the newb question but, changing the brake fluid does not imply bleeding the brakes also?

Someone has probably overfilled it or replaced the brake pads and pushed the caliper pistons back in without checking the fluid level.

Grab yourself a Turkey baster from Wilkos/poundshop and suck some of the fluid out. If the car is new to you then always worth doing a full fluid flush and bleeding them up. As mentioned above, bleeding Corrados seems much more difficult than the other cars I've done :?

i changed the fluid on my car and the pedal was spongy but after a few hours driving the pedal stiffened up again

Let gravity do the work.Top up brake fluid place a tight fitting hose over the brake nipple ,crack off the nippel and it will bleed no problems. That’s how l did mine

Is it just here or it is very hard to find in someone who has the knowledge and patience to do certain things on older cars

Bleeding brakes on the Corrado is same as any car of the era mate, so a quick interwebs search will tell you all you need to know. I think what you're getting is a general reluctance for people to retype the same info that is all over the web.

Anyway, yes, start with caliper furthest from the master cylinder, clamp open the rear bias valve, there is a bleed nipple on the master cylinder, two on the ABS unit, one on each caliper. I use an easy bleed kit and also do the clutch at the same time as the feed for this is off the reservoir - the bleed nipple for the clutch is on the slave cylinder on the gearbox.

I've never tried a 'gravity feed' method, sounds like you'll need a week to do it that way!

That's pretty much it as above - some clutch masters will have a bleed nipple on them as well, but most just have the one on the slave. I use one of the Sealey pressure bleeders that you pump up by hand, and they work a treat and also meant that you don't need to mess around with a spare tyre.

I can't see the gravity method working too well as all the fluid needs to get through the ABS pump to get to the callipers.