FrankyEight

Fuse Shorting —*How To Remove Instrument Panel?

Hi guys

A 15 amp keeps shorting in my 2.0 16v —*It's the second or third one in from the right and I believe it's for the interior lights, sunroof, cigarette lighter and instrument panel clock (clock or mileage doesn't show when key is not in ignition. Once it is, mileage and trip computer function as normal but still no clock). I've taken the cigarette lighter out but fuse still shorts. Someone on the Facebook forum suggested that a resister has gone on the circuit board that sits in the instrument panel, basically a new one needs to be soldered in.

Does this sound like it might be the culprit? I'm a bit of a novice so if there is a tutorial on actually getting the instrument panel out and getting access to the circuit board that would be great!?

Many thanks for your advice in advance.

It could be a faulty ignition switch as well - there is a how to in the wiki on here as far as I remember (search for dash bulb replacement) - basically prise off the two black plastic screw covers in the lower corners of the gauge trim and remove screws, then two screws hidden at the inside top of the trim panel, the trim then lifts out and there is a screw on each side of the gauge pod which holds it in place - there will be a multi-plug connector or a speedo cable at the back which will also need to be undone. Sometimes it's easier with the steering wheel removed, or if it's an adjustable one, lowered.

Really appreciate this — could be ignition switch as*I was having a running issue when the fuse actually went, so was constantly restarting the car during journeys when it stalled (now fixed with cleaning of ISV). Thanks for the advice, will look at ignition switch before prizing out the instrument panel!

Re the fag lighter, if small children are allowed in the car it wouldn't be the first time one of them placed a coin inside the fag lighter socket causing it to short out and the fuse to blow.

Its not unknown for the wiring behind the dash to be burnt, shorting out and burning the car to the ground, if you're leaving the car for periods of time remove the battery earth lead to make the car as safe as possible and carry a 10mm spanner to remove the earth lead should the worst happen whilst driving it.

Re the fag lighter, if small children are allowed in the car it wouldn't be the first time one of them placed a coin inside the fag lighter socket causing it to short out and the fuse to blow.

Its not unknown for the wiring behind the dash to be burnt, shorting out and burning the car to the ground, if you're leaving the car for periods of time remove the battery earth lead to make the car as safe as possible and carry a 10mm spanner to remove the earth lead should the worst happen whilst driving it.

Thanks —*no kids in the car but I do use the cigarette light to charge my phone. I disconnected the lighter but the fuse still shorts, presume this means that the lighter isn't at fault? At the time of the fuse going I was restarting the car quite a few times during journeys for a period as I had a running problem which meant it stalled at lights, junction etc, this has now been fixed with a clean of the idle valve, leaving me to wonder whether it might be the ignition switch failing due to all the restarts I was doing, as fendervg suggested.

That's a worrying comment about the wiring! I use the car daily and it doesn't sit for more than a day or two without being used. I presume it's safe!