_Matt_

WTD - OEM VR6 tail pipe sleeve

Not sure what you mean - is it the end pipe/exhaust tip? Not sure what colour they are new, but they are usually grey/stainless kind of gun-metal. They don't come off separately - they are part of the rear box assembly all in one piece as far as I know.

Any of the shops that fabricate stainless systems should be able to run up a copy for you or you could cut and weld one off a breaker, but not sure what the point is really unless you want it to look original even though it has an after-market system fitted.

ohh I see. I have a silver tip, similar shape but assumed the original bolted on. Oh well, I'll leave it be and probs go for a stainless system at some point then.

I thought black tips was a relativley new thing but my SL R129 1999 actually came from factory with a black tip suprisingly, mind you still on the original exhaust 20 years old, this car will outlive me ha ! Apparnetly they have never had to change out/replace a V8 block from the R129, maybe the most reliable V8 engine ever made I guess, when a Merc was built to last for ever and they believed the best advertisment was an old merc on the road, before they merged with Chrysler. The original receipt was a whoping 74k in 1999, I really recommend anyone looking for a second classic to invest in one of these they have a very bright future and very affordable at the moment.

Edited by Keyo

I do like those Keyo. Since I have a 2+2 in the Corrado a convertible would fit the bill quite nicely. I like quite a few of the pre-rust mercs - S124 being a fav too. Love an estate but have no need for it alongside my family car (also an estate).

I need to move house and get a double garage first though.

Yeah, the old mercs are great - would love to get hold of a W124 estate wither 7 seats - either a 300D or 320/80 petrol! One day.

Strangley enough the Merc independent I take mine to owns a W124 estate so I guess must be a great model. You can get a R129 SL320 for a great price at the moment either the inline 6 or V6 variation but i would stay away from th SL280 very sluggish. Love the 560 sec with the AMG kit holy cow they look so unique and aggresive, and lets not forget the 190E Cosworth all ready asking silly prices on them though unforunatley. When I used to walk to school it was the Corrado and R129 which were wow they are amazing ! To be fair the R129 are ok to leave outside you have a hardtop, the only thing that really gets rusty are the front wings which you can still buy over the counter, however the model before the R107 do need to be garaged absolute rust buckets and the one after the r129, R170 are well no comment.

Edited by Keyo

That's good to know Keyo, I hate having to deal with rust.. so expensive.

I used to keep an eye on Nick Froome's website for W124's but doesn't seem to be active so much these days - http://www.w124.co.uk/carsforsale.php

fendervg there's also a great thread on an owner's journey with a w124 300D on pistonheads https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=47&t=1382664

Yes rust is a bugger totaly agree P , the R107 have terrible rusting on the bulk head , engine out job to replace and very hard to inspect pre purchase, youll find out when water starts coming through the dash . there was one really rare R129 the SL73 which was an AMG pre merger car that Merc sent to them at a customers request , it was a bored out 6.0 litre V12 to 7.3 litre just an absolute animal , most went to Saudi Arabi but there are a couple in the UK I believe but never come on to the market. there is also a very rare AMG SL60 and SL55 which were the bored out V8 engines with sport suspensions.