mandipvirdi

Electronic locking?

My passenger door has recently stopped opening or locking when I unlock my drivers door with the key.

I have taken the door apart and have seen that there is some sort of wiring plug loom and connector in the door?

Any idea with what this is and how to solve my problem? It’s rather annoying!

I thought the micros switch on the handle was only on the driver's side to send the lock/unlock signal. Could be on both sides though to avoid having different parts for RHD and LHD cars.

The other loom bits will be for electric window, mirrors and switches as well as speakers.

The central locking is actually vacuum operated, using a pump in the boot on the near side and there should be vacuum pipes going to all the different locks including the one on the passenger door. Does your boot operate correctly? In that case it might just be a loose connection in the door.

The handle only has the electrical contact wire on it - this operates the vacuum actuator and pull rod which moves the lock mechanism. So you need to be looking at the actual lock mechanism in the door itself. If you take the door card off, you'll see a number of pushrods that operate the latch, from the interior release handle, the knob on top of the card and the actuator.

From memory there is wiring to both door handles, it's 3 wires. You have an earth, an 'open' wire, and a 'close' wire. When you are opening the drivers door on the key is the central locking pump activating? is your boot locking and unlocking? If it is I'd lock/unlock and listen for air leaks around the dash as the central locking vacuum pipe runs from offside rear, along the sills and round the dash. It does get brittle and cracks over time.

If the pump doesn't activate on open/close, bridge the 3 wires to see if it's handle or wiring