oneohtwo

Unidentified Part

Just a quick one: Anyone know what this part is called or number? It is hanging on by a thread so in need of replacing but no idea what to take to the dealership or search for!

y4mhx1swA2WAHRXF5ZL8OwQ5EJpe3L2CsIboOadW3gxRzIZ6GNAvbTZYbiPrLObnZo6oTO8QiIrMBH4zkIshASAbLf32yWN4zzR6oUKnmZOh4B8jzgTTWNl2Cx4AWcd-llWfWnZ7WW9qO8y6V71hOQuqJRt0AvDEg5yEY9Jp34AicHitOae1OfhkKkCnPODbPu0JQiLC4egBbi9nhm5thUX8w?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

The electrical bit stamped with the VW/Audi logo at the front. Ta!

It's attached to the ABS pump unit, but I'm not sure if it's actually part of it or just mounted on it - it's the same on mine. The actual ABS loom is the oval connector you can see at the bottom underneath the pump unit, whereas that's a two-pin connector. Can't find any reference to it in ETKA, but the RHD ABS system isn't very well documented - sorry I can't be more help - I'll take a quick look at mine in the morning.

The resistor is part of the traction control stuff I believe. The “L” shape bracket (with a hole in each leg) you can see next to it holds it onto the abs pump. It pulls off easily enough, by just prying up one side of that bracket slightly.

Ta, that might be enough to go to VW with! Yeah, I've pulled the bracket off before to inspect it (I believe I found it hanging off sometime ago, which is probably why the connection is knackered). At the moment there is just a small thread of wire connecting it at the top...

Right, eventually got an answer from VW about the part... and no surprises that it is obsolete, came as part of the whole ABS pump unit apparently. The question now though is, does anyone know anywhere a replacement might be found?! It seems a pretty obscure part so searching is tricky!

Can you repair it by soldering the wire on?

Hmmm, no. To be honest it might be alright, and I may have to live with it if there's not a viable new one.

The insulating material has cracked off where the wire goes in, so the connector plate is free and the wire has pulled out a bit. Thinking about it I could potentially glue the plate back into place with epoxy resin, then cover the bare wire with electrical tape.

I’ll try and grab a look at mine tomorrow to see if there are any values on it. It can’t be that special, as wire wound resistors are readily available and with any luck a match could be found

i.e. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382420309431

But with whatever the spec it is that is needed.

Good thinking. I do have the Bentley manual so could probably find out from there, but I have tried to avoid delving into the wiring diagrams so far.