Keyo

Advice on Mk7 GTI PP Remap

Hi Guys,

So I sold my R129 SL500 because of the new low emissions zone coming into Birmingham and decided to keep My Rado as my weekend classic as it's more fun to drive. As a daily I put my funds from the R129 to a MK7 GTI performance pack with 230 BHP. The R was in the same price range but as I've always had GTI'S in the past and I'm loyal to that specification and also prefer the looks, might be on my own there as I'm sure most would go for the R but for me it's a bit over kill and I find the R branding less cool as the GTI.

So question has anyone had a remap or know what is the safe BHP you can go up to without putting additional strain/damage on the cars components.

Cheers.

Hi Guys,

So I sold my R129 SL500 because of the new low emissions zone coming into Birmingham and decided to keep My Rado as my weekend classic as it's more fun to drive. As a daily I put my funds from the R129 to a MK7 GTI performance pack with 230 BHP. The R was in the same price range but as I've always had GTI'S in the past and I'm loyal to that specification and also prefer the looks, might be on my own there as I'm sure most would go for the R but for me it's a bit over kill and I find the R branding less cool as the GTI.

So question has anyone had a remap or know what is the safe BHP you can go up to without putting additional strain/damage on the cars components.

Cheers.

Mountune and fifteen 52 have just announced a joint venture called m52 which will be providing remap for the volkswagen cars. Noteably the gti and r models have a look.

Good choice, I would take the GTI over the R any day ...

1) Less likely to get stolen

2) Smaller turbo so spools up quicker and more linear to drive

3) Over 100kilo's lighter

4) More heritage and imo they look a lot nicer.

5) GTI handles really well, for me the main benefit of the 4wd is for quick launches but that's not something I'd partake in.

As for remap stage 1 shouldn't cause you any problems and that will get you to around 310 bhp. I'm not sure if Vince @ Stealth tunes these newer cars on the rolling road? Personally I'd want a map matched and tuned to my car rather than a generic revo/superchips etc. and I know Stealth will do a proper job.

Pictures please when you're ready :)

Edited by pfnsht

Mountune and fifteen 52 have just announced a joint venture called m52 which will be providing remap for the volkswagen cars. Noteably the gti and r models have a look.

Thanks Jon just paid you over for them parts much appreciated fellow . I will have a look into them companies I have heard of Montune they are partners with Ford and you still get to hold your warranty, I know this would be not the case with VW but Ford must trust them to keep the three year warranty on a tuned car.

Good choice, I would take the GTI over the R any day ...

1) Less likely to get stolen

2) Smaller turbo so spools up quicker and more linear to drive

3) Over 100kilo's lighter

4) More heritage and imo they look a lot nicer.

5) GTI handles really well, for me the main benefit of the 4wd is for quick launches but that's not something I'd partake in.

As for remap stage 1 shouldn't cause you any problems and that will get you to around 310 bhp. I'm not sure if Vince @ Stealth tunes these newer cars on the rolling road? Personally I'd want a map matched and tuned to my car rather than a generic revo/superchips etc. and I know Stealth will do a proper job.

Pictures please when you're ready :)

Thanks Pfnsht the list you written is my exact thoughts, you tend to see a lot more chavs in the R models to , sorry for those that are not.

I actually went for a White one which has not been my first choice in the past because of the Essex brigade, however I think VW's look so cool in white ie like your Rado, also the white contrasts really nicely with the black accents, chrome and shadow alloys and plaid interior. The car also had a few extras which I was looking for, Performance Pack, 19' alloys, 3 doors (no keyless start + thiefs like the 5 doors to get all the crooks in and out quick), Nav, and winter pack so cant wait to pick her up tomorrow.

I will wait in till the warranty runs out in 9 months and have a chat to Vince, 310 BHP just makes me laugh , that is only 10 bhp less then a 911 997.1!!

Haha I did think about adding the chav comment to the list :) You are correct though. It's probaby 50/50 around my way.

I never used to like white but I do like the crisp-ness of a clean white car. My other car (family estate - a late Seat Exeo Sport) is also white!

Sounds a nice spec yours, did you go manual or dsg?

Haha I did think about adding the chav comment to the list :) You are correct though. It's probaby 50/50 around my way.

I never used to like white but I do like the crisp-ness of a clean white car. My other car (family estate - a late Seat Exeo Sport) is also white!

Sounds a nice spec yours, did you go manual or dsg?

I went manual chap bit old skool with the old gear box like to be the main decision maker not the computer. Also I imagine white stays cooler then other cars in the sun.

Yay - long live the manual.

I once had a DSG in a Leon FR and hated it. I became lazy and left it in drive and never got on with the way it used to always jump to the highest, most fuel efficient gear possible. Especially crossing A-Road style roundabounts where it always went into 4th on exit when I just wanted 3rd for a little longer, que stamping the peddle and kick down to 2nd made for a bloody irratating drive. I know I could overide it with the paddles but at that point I'd may aswell be getting the full manual experience. My 2pence.

I replaced the corrado with a golf gti PP in manual guise went for night blue. I haven't regretted it one bit so far loving having aircon finally lol.

Very nice colour in Night Blue Jon, looks great with the contrasting red GTI stripe.

Very nice colour in Night Blue Jon, looks great with the contrasting red GTI stripe.

Yeah it was either that or red but I've always had dark blue cars so why change now.

you tend to see a lot more chavs in the R models to , sorry for those that are not. !

:) Ha Ha, none taken, although mine is a 6R

In my opinion the GTI in the 7 actually looks a bit different where as the 7R just looks like a TDI with 4 exhausts (why 4 on a 4 pot?)

Im not sure why they had 4 exhausts to be honest, it sort of clutters up the rear butt of the car, don't get me wrong I'm sure it's a blast to drive and would wipe the florr with a GTI, I'm just loyal to the GTI brand and its sentimental to me.