mooG60

Brake issue

My Brake fluid suddenly went down to the minimum line with no loss of breaking. I topped it up but it soon disappeared again, I decided not to add any more.

The brake pedal worked as intended for about another 150 miles but now has gone virtually to the floor. I still have a little bit of breaking and can still lock the wheels up if I slam the pedal to the floor.

AS been as the wheels are still locking up I'm presuming that the Master Cylinder is leaking and the fluid is going into the Servo?

Any thoughts please chaps?

Hello mate,

this could well be your brake master cylinder, but also it could be a rusted brake pipe under car that is leaking, or a leaking brake caliper.

A common brake leak though can be from the rear brake regulator valve.

Best bet is to jack it up onto axle stands, and check the front brakes then the rears, just to rule out anything underneath the chassis.

Does your G60 have ABS if so then the brake master cylinder is obsolete, but you can get it overhauled by a company called PAST PARTS.

If you don't have ABS then that master cylinder I believe is still available at the Main Dealers, plus they're on Ebay too.

If You're working on your own and need the brake pedal to be pressed slightly, this is what I do, I use a medium sized screw driver and apply pressure on brake pedal, then carefully jam the screw driver between the end of pedal and carpet/floor.

This then allows you to check for leaking brake fluid.

If it's a very slight leak you may still have a half decent pedal, but if it's leaking quickly then your brake pedal will push down all the way to the floor, plus the more it leaks the more air you'll possibly get trapped in the system.

But don't drive your Corrado untill you've fixed the brake leak.

Hope this helps

Si

Edited by vw rule

If there is fluid coming out of the gear box it will be the clutch slave cylinder. I agree with Si though jack it up, top the reservoir up and stamp them peddles, if it’s losing fluid as fast you say you’ll soon see where from.

Just in case it is your master cylinder some info here for you.

357 611 019 B (none ABS) was still available as of July 2018

Cost new £270

358 611 019D (with ABS) Obsolete since roughly 2010

Cost new £350

I had my brake master cylinder overhauled last year by the company below.

PAST PARTS (price from last year)

Cost is £109

VAT £21.80

Postage £6.59 with in UK Mainland

Net Total £137.39

Link to PAST PARTS Thread

Si

Edited by vw rule
Attached link wasn't working so has been changed/updated.

Thank you chaps.

I will have to take a proper look next week as suggested. I not seen any obvious signs of a leak and because I could still lock the brakes up even with little pedal made me think it was the M/S.

Will let you know the outcome soon as I can find the time.

Thank you for the handy link too.