dale p

dash

hi guys

after bit advice firstly are the internal facia plastics removable or are they moulded into dash itself

also wheres all fixing points on it as need to swap heater matrix so if i can get heads up be great:cool:

It’s been a while since I did it . I think the screws are behind the head unit , heater control facia , cig lighter and maybe the blower vents . All these pull off and out . You will see the screw heads . I’m sure someone will correct me if I’ve missed any . Be careful of the main facia it’s a little fragile.

You can do the heater matrix with the main dash frame in the car - if you want remove it, there are some screws (x2 I think) on the engine side of the bulkhead. Before you do anything, make sure that you can undo the two shouldered bolt/nuts that hold the heater matrix to the bulkhead and are fastened on the engine side.

Then you need to remove glove box (pain in the back side unless it's been out before or modified), a metal bracket to the right of the glovebox, all lover trim panels left and right, air vents and housing, radio, ashtray, heater control panel, top vent tubing and clock fascia and vent there. Then the ducting that runs from the blower motor to the right of the matrix. Also check, and consider replacing the felt lining on the heater box flaps and the control cables - oh and don't buy a cheap ****ty matrix - you won't want to do this job again in a hurry.

But really, google is your friend - there's plenty of info and how-to's out there (a search on here is useful too) and it's essentially the same job as on a Mk2/3, except access is more tricky.

It's not a difficult job in and of itself, but time consuming because there is so much that needs to be moved to get access, and the potential for breaking hard to replace parts. It's a lot easier on a Mk2 because the centre console just lifts out. When I did it took me 2 days, but with practice I've heard it can be done in about four hours. Mine was made more difficult because one of the shoulder nuts in the bulkhead was spinning in place and it took a long time to finally figure out a way of removing it.

ok,think going to check nuts on bulkhead first before start

someones had some the trim off before and cracked a few pieces but before my time so that be another job

There are 3 but I think you only need to remove the middle one and the passenger side one. If you pm me your WhatsApp I can send you a pic of the locations.

\Paddy

It's two on the heater unit itself, and one for the air duct from the blower motor (this doesn't necessarily have to come out if you take the dash out, but with dash in you'll need to move it).