jarques2005

Replace the gearbox gear turret/tower on a 16v engine

Hey everyone, thanks to the forum I managed to buy a low mileage turret as my one is so worn I cant get first gear, anyway I am after a bit of advise into how to do the job, I know disconnect cables etc? My question is more to do with what is in the box when you pull the turret out, anything I should look for or does the car need to be in a specific gear for me to pull the turret/tower out, has anyone done this before?

I've never done it in a working car (I have dropped an 02J tower in a spare 16V gearbox though).

If I was going to do this I'd select neutral first, remove the tower which is a single piece (check for any debris inside the gearbox housing from bits of the old faulty tower), connect the new tower to the cables and again select neutral before inserting into the gearbox.

I may be wrong, but that's how I'd do it and if the new tower fails to respond you can swap back to the original easy enough.

Someone may actually post later who's actually done the job...……..

I've swapped my turret for o2j type. I didn't do anything special when swapping over the tower.

\Paddy

Thanks for the replies, the reason for my slight hesitation is the tower has the selecting rod that goes into the box and on that is a slot on one side and a pin on the other, this will do then the selection in the box, I was hoping that once the old one is out, the new one just slides in and presuming there is just a case of feeling where the selectors sit but it aligns itself inside,

Corrados with a cable change box were fitted with 02A gearboxes, MK4 Golf etc were fitted with a revision of the same box designated 02J, the shift on the MK4s is improved but needs lever and tower.

The shifter needs modifying with Polo / Ibiza housing parts to fit the shifter into a Corrado tunnel.