jared_nomak

Fitting a VSR intake.

Does the VSR have a piggy back ECU like the Shrick and a solenoid that moves the flap , I don't know much about the VSR to be honest.

VSR requires a dedicated replacement OEM ECU that would normally come along with the manifold. This has a different map and a control wire on it. There should also be a green vacuum reservoir and hoses with t-piece, this operates the flap inside the manifold. All other work is exactly the same as removing and refitting the standard intake manifold, same gaskets, so you can either reuse your old ones or fit new ones. Everything else will match up and you will even be able to access your spark plugs, unlike on the Schrick VGI.

My advice is to send me the VSR and I will show you how to fit it on my VR6! ;)

Seriously, though - Vince at Stealth knows these inside out and should be able ot help, even if you are missing the ECU. I have seen VSRs being run wit the Schrick control box and mild remap.

Yeh I have the ecu and the chip by done by Vince for fitting too :)

Only if you send me your car with it fitted on it afterwards :)

The ecu is a grey or should it be in a black box

Not sure about the colour - the only one I've seen in a while was on German Ebay a while back, and that was a whole ECU box, a direct drop-in replacement for the factory unit under the rain tray.

Here are some pics of the whole shebang - and they show a black control box, but my understanding was that the ECU had to be swapped out as well.

https://forums.mwerks.com/showthread.php?7040123-FS-VW-Motorsport-(VWMS)-VSR-Intake-Manifold-components

Also, the first post here ins a translation of the original German write-up when the VSR was being marketed - note that it refers too an additional output wire from the new ECU to send a switch control signal to the black box. Yhis is what I've seen in the past, whereas the Schrick is just a standalone control box hooked up to an RPM signal from the coil.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?25285-VSR-Explained

Edited by fendervg

Not sure about the colour - the only one I've seen in a while was on German Ebay a while back, and that was a whole ECU box, a direct drop-in replacement for the factory unit under the rain tray.

Here are some pics of the whole shebang - and they show a black control box, but my understanding was that the ECU had to be swapped out as well.

https://forums.mwerks.com/showthread.php?7040123-FS-VW-Motorsport-(VWMS)-VSR-Intake-Manifold-components

That black box is a piggy back Ecu that will connect to the existing ECU , all it does is receive a signal from the ECU RPM that will then signal to the solenoid to trigger the flap at the desired setting, tends to be set at 4000 revs, looks the same set up as Shcrick just with slightly different colour/ shaped parts/connectors. It will be designed to plug and play with a stock VR6 ECU.

Edited by Keyo

Ok - so you could probably just hook it up to the coil or splice into the RPM signal to get it to work?

Not sure about that but I would imagine that a Shcrick ECU piggy would do the same job as VSR piggy and work on either , although the only problem is both are rare , no dealt it will be a right pain if these little piggies ever get water damaged.

The box ecu I believe is grey on mine

I think the ECU piggy on mine is white or Grey.

Does anyone know a bit of history about them.

Could you order it from a VW Dealer in the UK ? If not was it a German order from Vortex os something ?

Were they marketed for the Corrado or Golf MK3 ?

How many units were sold and how much were they new ?

How many years were they available for sale?

Thanks

Ok - so you could probably just hook it up to the coil or splice into the RPM signal to get it to work?

Just thought about this and no because the signal from the ECU initially triggers the air container that releases pressure to lift the solenoid flap it that makes sense.