geordiedoors

Heater control illumination

They don't light up very well at the best of times. There is a single bulb and then a plastic lens/light distribution unit that goes to each side. This is on the later ones. The knobs themselves don't light up at all.

You'll need to take the panel off (pull of the trim very carefully, and then there are four screws holding it on) and check/replace the bulb and make sure the lens thing is clipped in place.

Many people have modified it using LED strips or light emitting wire - a few places like Spoonfed have a kit available, or it's a relatively easy DIY.

While I'm not entirely familiar with the old (early) style, all of the lamps in the interior of the rado are incandescents. Meaning they burn out eventually. Luckily, they still sell them because they were still used on audis for years to come after the rado was done. If it's not lighting up at all, but your other interior lights are (like the ones for the aux. gauges or door mirror adjust knob) this is likely your problem. If you WANT them to light up brighter, you can likely find an LED replacement for the bulb (post a pic here and we'll help you) and it'll be a bit brighter, but it likely won't match the reset of the lights.

The heater controls don't light up at all, but all other interior lights work on dash and switches, also the tab for the slider on the heater controls is broken off. Il see if I can post a pic later. The interior light works off the switch but not when the door opens, which I imagine is the switch on the pillar.

The old style controls are lit by a single bulb - take the panel off, see if you can replace the bulb or test for current when the dash lights are on elsewhere - if there's no current, check the wire back, I think its a blue/grey wire and probably (but not sure) goes back to the headlight loom or switch.

If Tapatalk still worked,I’d post a pic of mine,all nicely illuminated

If you google Spoonfedtuning, and email him,he does a kit to backlight the sliding controls, I sent a spare set of controls to him (USA) and he converted mine, but I believe he does a kit now