corrado33

What's the consensus on aftermarket Rado sway bars and/or strut bars?

I've read the whole gambit from "Corrados are stiff" to "Corrados are flexy," so I figured I'd come here and ask. What are all of your opinions on aftermarket sway bars? What about strut bars?

In my research so far I've read the following:

• Front struts are very close to the firewall, so the strut bar up there isn't super useful as it's already pretty stiff.
  • Front sway bars, on the other hand, can certainly help improve grip if the car is pushed (say... around a track).
  • Rear struts are in the middle of nowhere, and the corrado has a much larger opening than modern cars do, therefore a rear strut bar could (theoretically) be useful.
  • Corrados aren't as stiff as we all think. (At least compared to modern cars.) If you jack up the car the door on that side is difficult to open, meaning there is certainly SOME flex.

I've also heard (second hand, so I'm unsure of its authenticity), that the rear strut bar for corrados is ugly and/or takes up a lot of room. A quick google search shows a MASSIVE, multi link rear strut bar, and or a very simple top bar only setup. What I DON'T see, however, is the rear shelf plastic mount side things, or the rear shelf in any car with the rear strut bar installed.

So what are all of your thoughts?

I have Eibach anti roll bars and bushes . My car handles like its on rails to be fair. Had mine refurbished last year, powder coated from the old red to black and new bushes which you can buy stand alone.

Complete kit with bushes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Mk3-2-0GTI-16V-2-8-VR6-01-92-07-98-Eibach-ARB-Kit/141037083755?epid=1954365861&hash=item20d6771c6b:g:wVkAAOxyVVJSCoyX

If you click on my photo album link there is a good picture of the underside of the car with if fitted has the red bushes.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KofL9bRESGSeZJv47

Edited by Keyo

I have an up rated front anti-roll bar,one on the back,front and rear strut bars,

IMHO the rear roll bar is a necessity, followed by the up-rated front anti-roll bar, you can feel a difference with the rear strut bar, especially if you drive it hard. The front strut bar doesn’t seem to make as much difference as the others.

This is just my 2p after many years of driving and testing

I have an up rated front anti-roll bar,one on the back,front and rear strut bars,

IMHO the rear roll bar is a necessity, followed by the up-rated front anti-roll bar, you can feel a difference with the rear strut bar, especially if you drive it hard. The front strut bar doesn’t seem to make as much difference as the others.

This is just my 2p after many years of driving and testing

Perfect, thanks for the information. Pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Unfortunately the only thing I have is a front strut bar. (Came with the car and looks pretty.)

• Front struts are very close to the firewall, so the strut bar up there isn't super useful as it's already pretty stiff.

I would agree.

• Front sway bars, on the other hand, can certainly help improve grip if the car is pushed (say... around a track).

Depends on the terrain you are on. A smooth track, might help a bit, on a poorly maintained road, it may make for less traction.

• Rear struts are in the middle of nowhere, and the corrado has a much larger opening than modern cars do, therefore a rear strut bar could (theoretically) be useful.

I would say theoretically only. The rear is so light anyway I don't think its a real concern.

• Corrados aren't as stiff as we all think. (At least compared to modern cars.) If you jack up the car the door on that side is difficult to open, meaning there is certainly SOME flex.

So what are all of your thoughts?

Those are my thoughts :)