LikeaG60

G60 distrutor cap issue

Morning chaps, recently been having some running issues with my g60, comes up every few months now, I get a misfire, replace the dizzy cap and it cures it, but there must be a reason it going through them, I'm not seein any cracks or damage at all. 

Could anyone shed some light

How does the rotating arm/contact look? The bearing could also be worn, meaning the contact is impacting the cap contacts very slightly and wearing them or incorrect spark gap

2 hours ago, seanl82 said:

How does the rotating arm/contact look? The bearing could also be worn, meaning the contact is impacting the cap contacts very slightly and wearing them or incorrect spark gap

It feels good, doesn't feel worn at all, there is light arcing on the contacts, but I wouldn't say any contact

In the past I've had cheap rotor arms that didn't last long at all, I was told they came from the same faulty batch, not saying your distributor cap is from a faulty batch but could be a possibility. Did you replace it with the same brand as the old one ?   Or is it OEM ?

I'd check your ignition timing is within correct specification using a timing gun, because if it's out it can cause the engine to ping if the ignition timing is too advanced, which can cause other issues.

As already mentioned if the distributor shaft is lose it can cause problems with the cap sometimes.

The other thing is your coil and HT leads, if you have problems/faults with them it can sometimes cause issues with distributor cap, but not always. If the coil is faulty or the ignition amplifier module, it can sometimes result in the spark damaging the distributor cap prematurely.

Or like I say could be a cheapish cap that just can't last as long as OEM ?

Hope this helps

Si 

I don't know if its possible on a G60, but I've read swapping the low tension side of the coil over (by mistake) can cause accelerated wear of spark plugs, so maybe it can also affect rotor / cap too?