Sign in to follow this  
Skimask

Considering buying another corrado - or upgrading existing??

Hi Folks,

A quick question for you guys, I currently have a 1991 16V C, and considering going for a newer model, a VR6.

As the VR6's have catalytic converters, I've considered fitting a VR6 unit to my existing car, thus eliminating the requirement for a cat.

If I buy a newer car, a standard VR6 , I believe a 'cat bypass' can be fitted. Does this eliminate the cat or just works alongside the existing one?

Any thoughts on this??

I would just buy a vr6 Corrado, unless u got a cheap engine you can put in yourself, You might wanna improve ya brakes and suspension too.

My car goes fine with its cat, but belive you would have to change ya bypass/cat round every MOT unless u have a mate who works at the testing station. Haven never been in a vr6 without cat i cant say how it goes with out it, but mine goes like a dream with it.

Buy a new Corrado.... too much hassle converting and if anything it will cost you more money....

Hi Folks,

A quick question for you guys, I currently have a 1991 16V C, and considering going for a newer model, a VR6.

As the VR6's have catalytic converters, I've considered fitting a VR6 unit to my existing car, thus eliminating the requirement for a cat.

If I buy a newer car, a standard VR6 , I believe a 'cat bypass' can be fitted. Does this eliminate the cat or just works alongside the existing one?

Any thoughts on this??

VR6 is a very different beast, just make sure it's really what you want before ditching the valver, VR6's are much more costly to run and maintain as the 16v particularly the 1.8 is quite a simple engine and shares most of the mechanicals with mk2 golfs and passats of the same era.

The VR6 will always be the powerful, grunty sounding performance car but the valver has it's good points and suits a lot of people and there are some very happy owners out there.

One final point, later cars with all the minor changes and improvements are generally better but as all the C's are getting on a bit now it's general condition and care that are important.

Sorry if I'm stating anything you know already,

cheers,

David.

Can not see the point in fitting an engine into a car to achieve an end product which allready exists in production, unless of course this is going to be part of a radical re-make. The cost would be greater than going out and buying a VR6. Remember it's not just an engine and box, you will require the whole ten tenths and barring the body shell and interior will be changing the rest!! I would recommend you go and test drive some Corrados, and then review your budget, and make a more informed decision. Sure you can make any conversion you wish for, given the money with which to achieve your desire, but if all you seek is a more powerful Corrado then first off at least find out what can be done with your 16V they are capable of producing substantially more BHP and comparable with a standard G60.

Cheers guys!

I was considering the upgrade to existing for 2 reasons (a) No Cat and (B) my Corrado has no sunroof (making a stiffer bodyshell).

An upgrade wouldn't be too expensive or too much problem doing it myself.I wouldn't like to do anything with the 16Valve, I still don't like thrashing to to get it to move. A G60 - mmm maybe! The VR6 I've never tried, but it seems to be more 'relaxed'.

Have you noticed driving a Corrado, that every man and his dog wants to race, I can't seem to overtake anyone, without them accelarating as I'm passing.

All in all, a Corrado is an awesome looking car I dont think anything comes close, if I'd wanted something thats fast and a hissing dump valve I'd have gone for a Scoob!

However, I probably will go down the route of buying a VR6, If I can find a decent one.

Thanks for the input though!!