16vMatt

Coolant not circulating on 24V Swap

Hi all, I've got a 99% complete 24v swap in my VR.

I've plumbed it up using the VR6 stat housing,radiator and hose set up. Coolant is circulating back to the coolant reservoir and it's been well bled of any air yet it won't cool down.

I've got two spal fans on my rad, they cool it adequately enough however the coolant doesn't then go from the rad back round the engine.

The only difference in the plumbing on this compared to the original VR is the the VR has to outlets on the front of the block that both go to the oil cooler. This 24v lump has 3 outlets so I've joined two together for now. I think this could be causing the issue. Keen to hear any feedback.

Is the thermostat working and was it tested before fitting? Can happen that you get one that is stuck.

Are both hoses to/from the radiator getting hot when properly warmed up?

When you says it's not cooling, is it oil temperature and coolant temperature together that are staying high?

The oil cooler hoses are really only coolant in and coolant out - not sure how this would be different on a 24v, maybe someone with one can share pictures of their outlet. It's not a very effective cooler anyway, more a way of helping the engine get up to running temp quickly by balancing out oil and coolant temp via heat exchange.

Thermostat is new and working, both radiator hoses are getting warm. Coolant temp increases regardless off fans.

I've now found out the third outlet is for the feed for the original 24v aux pump and it needs to be blocked off. So I'll plug that and see if that sorts it.

Edited by 16vMatt

If both rad hoses are hot then coolant is circulating?

Condition of the waterpump? Assuming the aircon is deleted off the new engine and a smaller belt fitted is the pumps rotation correct?

Is the engine from a known good source with no previous overheating issues?