Cressa

Rust removal anyone?

I've been watching tooo much you tube and decided I want a play at using electrolysis to do some rust removal.  

Has anyone done this? And had better success using a certain product. . .salt, baking powder, soda Crystal's. 

Just seen a good Anode of an opened up tin can around the object so may try that.

Or i am talkimg total rubbish and ignore this thread 🤣🤣🤪

2 hours ago, Cressa said:

I've been watching tooo much you tube and decided I want a play at using electrolysis to do some rust removal.  

Has anyone done this? And had better success using a certain product. . .salt, baking powder, soda Crystal's. 

Just seen a good Anode of an opened up tin can around the object so may try that.

Or i am talkimg total rubbish and ignore this thread 🤣🤣🤪

I played with this last year in lockdown, I did a Corrado rear axle in a wheelie bin using two old front struts for the rust to deposit onto. Two days then flipped the axle over for another two days. The rust goes flakey and is easily removed with a wire brush.

i used washing soda from home bargains 90p per packet. My neighbour also did it on his T25 van bits

cant find it online on HBs website, but they do sell it, B and M also

my set up

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/dri-pak-soda-crystals-500g-349612

Edited by Dox

Cheers Dox, I thought you had done some.  Going to try with a rusty old brake disc first. 

Full marks for use of your wheelie bin though 🤣🤣 great idea

Have you done any of the oxide coating of parts also? 

5 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Cheers Dox, I thought you had done some.  Going to try with a rusty old brake disc first. 

Full marks for use of your wheelie bin though 🤣🤣 great idea

Have you done any of the oxide coating of parts also? 

I stopped because recycling was piling up lol - handily wheelie bins are marked up in litres helping the mixing of he soda. I recommend it though. The residue on the struts is like egg shell and also cleans off easily, I used a battery connected to the charger at all times which seems to help.