Sign in to follow this  
coullstar

16v 4 branch.

Is it worth just fitting one of these on it own? Theres a guy at work with one on his Golf that has been sitting idle for a couple years and I was thinking of asking if he would sell it. I am sure it a Magnex one.

Will it improve torque in anyway as I need more torque!!!

I had a 2.5" bore Jetex and a 4 branch on my MK1 16V and yeah it did increase torque a bit. The 4 branch needs wrapping with some thermal tape though or it'll lose heat too quickly. Where exhaust manifolds are concerned, the hotter the better.

When i fitted mine i didnt really notice much difference but as a package (as you can see in my sig) I got very good results!

Remember the 16v head has to flow zorst gases at nearly a right angle out of head thats why vw use a wilder zorst cam so any mod that increases the exit of gases can only help

If you are not able to secure this 4 branch manifold. I could supply you with a JMR big bore S/S front pipe and a ported exchange exhaust manifold that would give you the improvement you seek.

Yep as flusted says for best results you need to consider entire induction and exhaust tract, key is too maximise gas speeds which 4 branch promotes.

A mate had a 16v golf mk2 with a full magnex exhaust and 4-1 manifold. After a head rebuild with everything else standard it put out 160bhp, and felt very quick compared to my 16v without the manifold. He didn't use any tape though. I'd definitely buy it if its under £100, new ones are over £250 as I remember.

The key for exhaust manifolds is to get them really hot. The manifold helps the pistons expel spent gases by pulling them out of the chambers. It's all flow dynamics...... the dense, thick gases coming out the chambers accelerate as they pass through a hot manifold and out through the exhaust. Iron is much better at retaining heat and although see turbo manifolds glow cherry red, that's actually a good thing.

That is why you must wrap tubular manifolds. Steel loses heat a lot quicker than iron. A carefully optimised and insulated tubular manifold will outperform a flowed iron manifold without question. To gain torque from a 16V, you should really look at a 4 - 2 -1 rather than a 4 - 1, and with equal length runners.

So maybe there is one good point for the VR6 running so hot then. :wink: Saw a tv program about F1 engines and the exhaust was almost see-though it ran so hot. Mad.