James.

Aerial unit

I'm trying to source a new aerial as the one I have is buckled after I had the roof bars on and some timber press down on it 🙁.

Thing is, I'm struggling to get a replacement. The one fitted currently, has a female fitting on the aerial, and all the ones I see on ebay are the other way round.

Anyone out there been in the same situation and have a solution and/or know where to obtain a new unit ?

Here's the one I have:

DF1A6797-2559-4B96-BC2B-D845BB8DA31E_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by James.

I don't have any idea about a direct replacement sorry James, but its just 50ohm Coaxial cable so easily snipped off and remade via a connecting piece in the worst case. 

I vaguely remember there being a guide on here on how to bypass the amplifier within the aerial, which is usually the cause for poor/no reception. Surprisingly, bypassing it actually provides a better signal apparently. 😳

Yeah, cheers I did that years ago. Soldered in a jumper cable between the aerial mast and the coax (VW in their infinite wisdom supplanted the amplified circuitry inside a piece of water permiable foam, which is why the reception is shocking at best) This is more of a wholesale replacement. But thanks for the heads up.

Long term looking at going DAB, with what will look like a powered aerial setup. Lord only knows how I retro fit one of these. Maybe it’s time to make the change ?

Edited by James.

9 hours ago, James. said:

Yeah, cheers I did that years ago. Soldered in a jumper cable between the aerial mast and the coax (VW in their infinite wisdom supplanted the amplified circuitry inside a piece of water permiable foam, which is why the reception is shocking at best) This is more of a wholesale replacement. But thanks for the heads up.

Long term looking at going DAB, with what will look like a powered aerial setup. Lord only knows how I retro fit one of these. Maybe it’s time to make the change ?

a long time ago, in my 1.4 SR nova i had a great powered antenna

the antenna itself stuck onto the front windscreen behind the rear view mirror & then wired into the feed & the switchable live for power on key

ive long thought about putting similar in the VR6 but i rarely listen to the radio or ipod in it.  however i have recently got the audio hardware as i want it

i have looked at a USB bluetooth dongle which is properly plug & play to connect to the sony head unit in there at the moment as i could then connect my phone & use spotify - i guess that would be a simple way to achieve DAB too as could just play the stations through the phone

19 hours ago, James. said:

Have a look at the Hirschmann dab beesting. Very OE looking. I fitted one to mine and wired it all back to the head unit. I just don't have dab  though 🤣🤣