Sign in to follow this  
pablo_vr6

removing door glass

got a replacement window for my passenger door as mine is badly scratched but not sure how to get the old one out.

any tips? seems to be glued onto a big bar thats got no intention of going anywhere :(

thanks

-pablo

Yeah it's bonded to the regulator beam. I think if you heat the glue with a heat gun, it will soften enough for you to pull it free. The bottom of the glass has levering sections. Then the seal around the window frame has to come out and then the glass drops down through the top.

The glass is scratched because the outer weather strip has worn through to the metal.

nah mate the glass is badly scratched but not in a linear way that the strip would do. looks like a kid was drawing on it with a metal crayon :p

but i got a nice mint replacement so just a matter of popping the old one out :)

thanks for the tip.

finally done this at the weekend and it was easier than I thought initially :)

removed door card

removed the top inner stip along the bottom of the window (that the dorr car slips into.

removed the outer weather stip along bottom of window

prised the arms out of the racer housings (crap description)

removed the two bolts securing the window to the motor mechanism

pulled the window up and out.

its a bit tight around the centre due to the cable which pulls the window up and I had to put some tape along the top of the door to stop the window getting scratched on the way in but other than that it was pretty easy.

I tightened the 2 bolts loosely at first and put the window up and down a few times to get the rigt position then tightened them up.

job done - no more nasty scratched window :D