Boozyjay

LOOKING FOR L33 VWS

Hi everyone, hope all is well.

I used to own two Corrados' in my younger days in the nineties. One was a Blackberry Corrado VR6 registration M652OOA and I loved every minute of ownership and have great memories of it, but I reluctantly had to sell it as my wife was pregnant with our daughter (now 19, how time flies..)

Now I'm in middle age, I've been yearning to buy another Corrado, but would really love to buy my old one back in my life and do a full restoration if it required it. I've been doing a bit of research and found out that the registration as changed in 2011 to L33 VWS which is still on the car. I found a previous owner online and made contact, he was very helpful and sent me some photos, but he hadn't got the details of who he sold it to as it was ten years ago. I then had a look on this forum and found out that a guy called "hunty" on here was also an owner of the vehicle. He hasn't been on here for a few years by the looks of it (I did send him a PM but had no reply) I had a look on DVLA website and it's saying it is now sorned, but still registered.

There are one or two photo's knocking about of it on various forums, it has different alloys, including Porsche ones.

Does anyone have any information on this Corrado? It would be so much appreciated, as I'm running out of options and would love to have it back in my life.

Regards

Jason.

2e24542da0e529e88e629e7f84791e9b.jpg

ae75fa41713f866e30a7d10bdfc12db9.jpg

It’s not been exported, still in the same hands that SORNed it, nothing on previous mots for rust, so if it’s tucked up in a well ventilated garage it should be a solid car

The above are screenshots of Vehicle Smart app

Good luck with y to our search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Luck and looks like it might be in the same keepers hands. Facebook should show up results if they are there. Sometimes though the cars get broken and the last keeper doesn't get updated/the car doesn't get declared as scrapped.

I understand the sentimental attachment to the car but just to offer some rationality from someone who has renovated a corrado, luckily one that was pretty complete: these cars are not straight forward renovations if parts are missing. Loads of things are obsolete from VW and pricey on the second hand market. Factor that in with costly bodywork and potential engine work and you could be in deep in quickly. There are lots of cars around that have had the renovation works so might be a better bet if L33 VWS is in a poor state. Failing that try and pick up your own breaker car if you need lots of parts.

Thanks for the advice Matt. And yes sentiment can play a big part, but if I do eventually come across it again and can do a deal to buy it, if it was that bad I would walk away.

I joined Facebook today specifically to ask the CCGB and other Corrado forums if they know the current owner of the vehicle. If nothing turns up (which is looking likely) I'll keep my eyes out for a nice Blackberry VR6 that comes on the market in the future.

I’ve just scrapped a storm that was good on top but a rusty horror underneath (eyes full of rust / showers of rust etc), it had been in my dry garage for 7 + years.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Wilko13 said:

I think it’s in Newcastle this is from 2013

Owner is called Greg

50924d64be5e9830bd49a7a1ca299a50.jpg

Hi Wilko, 

Thanks for sending over. Are you in contact with him or know someone who is? I've been in touch with the previous owner who sold it Greg and he sent me some photos and that's a big difference from how the car looks in 2012 compared to 2013. Looking at the online history, it passed it's last MOT in 2012 before it went on Sorn in 2013.

My guess is he was in the middle of doing some work, or restoration - which seems unlikely as it's been 10 years on Sorn, or selling the parts off it, which seems more likely.

1 hour ago, Dox said:

MJM Thompson on the lorry?

MJM Thompson are (or were) based in Keswick. I think the owner Mr. MJM Thompson died in 2016 and I can't find any trading figures, so I guess the company has now ceased trading. 

Not in contact with him I found info on Facebook (crazy what you can find in a 5 min search)

I have messaged him on your behalf

22 minutes ago, Wilko13 said:

Not in contact with him I found info on Facebook (crazy what you can find in a 5 min search)

I have messaged him on your behalf

I really appreciate it Wilko. I can't thank you enough.

Greg responded unfortunately not good news apparently the engine blew up in 2012 then the shell got stolen so car doesn’t actually exist anymore.

16 minutes ago, Wilko13 said:

Greg responded unfortunately not good news apparently the engine blew up in 2012 then the shell got stolen so car doesn’t actually exist anymore.

I lived in hope Wilko, but deep down I knew this would be the outcome. I can't thank you enough and thanks to Dox and Matt too. The good thing for me is finding out what happened to it as I didn't have a clue - the power of the internet. I thought it would have disappeared years before it did, so I'm pleased it had more use by the previous owners.  If I could ask one thing Wilko? Could you ask Greg if he has anything left, like a door handle or something? Just so I can put it on my office wall? I've just told my wife the story of trying to find L33VWS again, we were courting in it, she shed a tear!

Well we can happily help you as we are all poking our noses around. 

What boxes does it need to tick?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Well we can happily help you as we are all poking our noses around. 

What boxes does it need to tick?

Got to be Blackberry (Bramble) and looked after. Mileage not too important as like all, they all have a bit of mileage on them now. I'd happily pay good money for a decent one that doesn't need much doing to it, just a bit of TLC. I'd prefer black interior, but beggars can't be choosers. If one comes up that is mechanically sound, but needs a respray then I'd be interested.

I've been so close to buying a few recently, but the colour was wrong. I even put a deposit down on N164CWG about four years ago and agreed a price at nine grand. I had to pull out as I hadn't got the space at the time. it went for over seventeen grand (plus fees) at the Historics auction in 2021. I could have kicked myself.

Thanks Cressa.

He still has the paper work for it he may be will to see if he can put the plate on retention and sell the plate I could ask him

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wilko13 said:

He still has the paper work for it he may be will to see if he can put the plate on retention and sell the plate I could ask him

He's just messaged me Wilko and asked for my mobile number, which I've sent him. He said he'll tell me what happened to it.

I'll keep you posted.