Sign in to follow this  
mariovr6

advice needed

hello

i would like to know if there is anything wrong with my vr engine but im not sure best and cheapest way to find out?

i know some tuning peeps can do it but alot say they would need to run a number of tests each one costing more!!!

reason im worried is.....

the dry black number 6 spark plug!!

the nasty smell from the rear when run fast!!!

and i think it might lack abit of power? it dont really kick till it gets to about 3000revs

it sound abit rattlely too

If it's only got 6 leads it's the coil pack..

Oily black plug 6 can be for many reasons, head wear being the primary, bore wear being the secondary (and most expensive to fix :( ) - nasty smell well this could be anything. You might be burning a bit of oil, you might have an iffy CAT.

Lack of power under 3k rpm - well they all feel a bit like this, but if it's noticeably less powerful at those revs than it used to be there may be a reason to be concerned. Bear in mind the current stupendous air temperature and humidity make these cars feel even more lethargic than normal!

Rattley - well it's a VR6! They all sound a bit clattery to be honest. If it's particularly clattery then you're looking at the timing chains (off beat rattle at the gearbox end of the engine) or the tappets (noise from the head). Also bear in mind those stupendous temperatures I mentioned - they'll make the oil thinner and that will make the engine more noisy!

maybe im wrong about the speed i did a rough 0-60 and it got there in 7 secs ish!

it dont burn any oil never need to refill in 5 months non at all, but i am getting the black 6 plug and the nasty smell