_Matt_

Camber & Tracking..shock refitting

Hi, 

No is probably the answer as I've never been able to achieve shock off without basic tracking afterwards.

Q - so assuming the camber is set by the two bolts at the bottom of the shock into the knuckle. Tracking/toe off of the track rods. If I don't touch the track rods and put the camber back to where it was pre shock removal is there any chance I can get away without have the car tracked afterwards?

Never achieved it in the past with a bubble spirit level to set camber however I have recently purchase a digital spirit level to 2dp. 

Debating whether to change top mounts before Cosford but if it's not going to be possible to get it back together without tracking I'll leave it.

Cheers

Good luck with that mate.  I've never been able to keep it the same no matter what I do, so it always ends up needing a trip for alignment.  Gutted that mine is still blocked in the garage at such an important weekend

I'll probably leave it I think. There are few components that could do with replacing and makes sense to tackle as 1 job with 1 alignment. One outer track rod I can't even make out where the locking nut ends and track rod begins even after wire brushing etc...doubt it can be adjusted plus the outer (or inner) make a lot of noise like dry rubber (see vid), can feel it resonate strongly in the entire track rod arm. Tbh I am touch an go whether I want to drive it great distance.

https://youtube.com/shorts/bXcS2gno9Io

Have a look at the Drop links and bushes/ ball joint on the wish bone and check it’s all tight

Cheers Shaun, i'm pretty sure it's the drivers track assembly as there is so much vibration in it when turned. I'll do a mini front end refresh over next couple of months. 

Interestingly I did manage to get the camber spot on both sides with my digital spirit level and some heath robinson style sockets taped to a bit of metal laid across the alloy to clear tyre. Yet to take it for a drive though.