Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

Rear shox

NS is covered in oil after weekend drive, so me is guessing that someones put some cheapo oil shox on the rear :roll: I fort the rado had gas ones?

Also had proper look at OS and the bump stop is well and truly split, so i'll guess i need to get me 2 new gas shox and 2 new bump stops? Can i then still use the springs that are on atm, coz they look fine?

They all have oil in. The VR6 had gas shocks alone. The gas is just there to prevent the oil from "foaming" under pressure.

thanks dr_mat, but forgive my ignorence here......

If they are all oil, why do GSF and eurocarparts list gas shox for the 8v's ?

I dont doubt what you are saying, im just a tad :?

They call 'em gas, but they all have oil in aswell.

The ones not labelled as "gas" don't have gas, they *just* have oil.

Clear as mud, huh?

Try again:

Standard shock: Just oil

Gas shock: Oil with inert gas pressure on top.

Gas shocks are better (but only in extreme situations), so they just call them "gas" to make the distinction.

And it's not a problem fitting gas shocks to a car that used to have standard ones - it's an "upgrade", if you like, but it doesn't make a lot of difference.

Oh, and the OE supplier to the factory was SACHS, but BOGE are identical (made on the same production line).

My VR has the standard shocks on the back that are currently leaking oil :roll: the new ones don't cos the earth from VAG though. I would suggest you do get proper VAG ones, rather than from the likes of GSF cos they're pants.

I got my new bump stops from GSF though.

If you're in there it's also worth changing the top spring plate as it apparently rusts away and is only a couple of quid. I'm also going to do my springs while I'm in there. They look ok, but I'm sure 10yrs of use will have softened them considerably by now. Besides, I'd rather take it all apart and do it the once, then I know I have a completely new suspension setup.

Just my 2p :)

And it's not a problem fitting gas shocks to a car that used to have standard ones - it's an "upgrade", if you like, but it doesn't make a lot of difference.

Oh, and the OE supplier to the factory was SACHS, but BOGE are identical (made on the same production line).

I've heard that the BOGE ones aren't quite as good, but how much difference it makes, etc I can't comment on. I just went to VAG and got em, IIRC you may even be able to wangle a parts club discount on the shocks.

My VR has the standard shocks on the back that are currently leaking oil :roll: the new ones don't cos the earth from VAG though. I would suggest you do get proper VAG ones, rather than from the likes of GSF cos they're pants.

But GSF and euro. can get BOGE and Blistein, surely they are just as good, if not better, than the standard VAG ones?? :?

But GSF and euro. can get BOGE and Blistein, surely they are just as good, if not better, than the standard VAG ones?? :?

There was a biiiiig discussion on this a few weeks ago on here, but I can't say personally what difference it makes because I don't know. I just went for the VAG ones, which are made by Sachs (on the VR at least).

I have been informed by the people at SACHS UK that the BOGE (or SACHS) shocks supplied by GSF are *identical* in every way to the ones that were fitted on the car at the factory. I put great stress on this and they said "yes".

The Bilstein ones at GSF I can't comment upon.

Some people have claimed a difference, and I could be mis-informed, but I KNOW these companies were the original suppliers, and I have held in my hand a pair of VW rear VR6 shocks, and they *are* identical to SACHS gas rear shocks (as sold by GSF) - so my suggestion is to go to GSF...

Oh, and to add to the confusion, sometimes GSF will sell you the SACHS part, sometimes the BOGE one - it just depends what they have in. But they are identical, and that's why they don't always specify.

(The rear shocks from VW had the same SACHS part number stamped on them as the rear shocks from SACHS!!)

Deffo budget to do the top spring plates while your'e there I would say, and the bumpstops. The top spring plates seem to be made of the cheapest steel known to man, and rot quicker than a Beetle dumped on Brighton beach. The bumpstops just don't last and will probably disintegrate in to several crumbly pieces! Not expensive,bout £50 the lot.