Sign in to follow this  
Tekara

ABS Light Question

Quick question regarding ABS.

When you start the car, the usual dash lights flick on, oil and such. Is the ABS light meant to flick on when starting up too ?

Reason i ask is ive come from the Vauxhall and Audi stable and the ABS light flicks on then off as you start. One on my Corrado doesnt come at all, wonder if this is normal

Yes, it is supposed to come on when you start the car. Usually stays on for about 1-2 seconds.

Hopefully it's just a bulb that's gone.

Bad things in the ABS department involve the light staying on, or coming on whilst driving ;)

LvP.

I had exactly the same problem, no light at all.

VW wanted £95+VAT for the ABS light unit.

The actual bulb is soldered to a pcb inside the black housing. I managed to get a bulb of the same rating and get handy with the soldering iron removing the blown bulb and soldering in the new one.

Good Luck

:D

Dave

Yep that's how I repaired a forum members ABS light. Some bulbs don't accept solder though as the flyleads aren't tinned copper on a lot of them. I stripped a bulb out of a twist-lock instrument cluster bulb, which does accept solder.

On the this car in question, the bulb was smashed deliberately to disguise a faulty rear wheel sensor :shock:

Some people :roll:

A keen-eyed MOT tester should be checking to make sure that your ABS light comes on briefly, then goes off again as expected. If it doesn't come on at all, or stays on, it's an automatic fail...