Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Front strut top assembley, Koni Coilovers

Ok, fitted my coilovers tonight, rears were a doddle but ive hit a problem with the fronts. Once the car is on the ground the strut is pushing its way through and nearly hitting the bonnet. I know its something to do with the way ive put the top mount assembley together but dont know what ive done wrong.

Heres the way ive done it, starting from bottom.

Strut > Lower spring platforms > spring > Upper spring platform > Bearing type thing (from old shock) > Nut (also from old shock) > Top mount > car > Upper stop thing (wide plate) > spring washer > nut

Any ideas what ive missed? Ive had a look at the suspension parts doc thats kicking about but things look a bit different as thats for standard shocks. :?

Check your topmounts are the right way up! I know it sounds stupid but it took me ages to work out why one side sat correctly and the other didn't :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'll check that first, think its something else though. Its as if the spring is mounted properly, but theres nothing to put pressure on the top of the damper, id imagine if I drove it the first bump would cause it to hit the bonnet.

Im pretty sure ive fitted the top mounts the same way as shown in the attached picture, is that wrong?

Right, thought about this more now and spoke to andy for a bit and the problem seems more clear. The problem is that the top spring platform is able to slide up and down the strut, so as the spring compresses the strut slides through the middle of the platform and heads for the sky.

Now the 2 possibilities are that ive missed something putting them together or ive been supplied with the wrong spring platforms (possible as theres a few bits missing, 1 of the adjuster spanners and damping adjustment knobs.)

Looking at the suspension parts document here im wondering if I simply need number 10 from the earlier style? Is this just a spacer or does it stop the platform from sliding down the strut? Part number for this? Im thinking of putting a thick washer of the correct size in this very place as I reckon it would solve the problem but not sure if thats a good idea or not.

Will think more on this as im not near my car at the moment and cant look to check this stuff and its late.

Any help appreciated.

Problem solved, turned out id taken the bearing back off for something and must have forgot to put it back in place. :oops:

Car drives great now, cant believe the difference they make considering I had a decent setup before. Just need an alignement now.

VR6, just out of curiosity, what settings are you running your shocks at? I know there FK's but there practically the same as Konis.

Ive set mine to a 1/2 turn at the back and 1 1/2 at the front for now. Will let them settle a bit before I start messing about too much.

Just about the same as you Joe - around half to 3/4 of a turn at the back and just over one and a half on the front.

Somewhere between a 45 and 60 mm drop I think.

Find the handling to be superb, especially running on the 15's!