Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

G60 wont go into 2nd gear at high revs

This is really starting to bug me now, if I try to change up to second just before the redline, the gear just won't go in at all, the lever just stops dead, I then have to clutch a couple of times to get it in :(

When I first bought the car, it would change into second at high revs, albeit with a lovely synchro grating sound. Since changing the 'box oil to Redline MT90(and slick50 regrettably) the general gear change is much improved, but the above problem has come into play.

normal driving the gearchange is pretty good, with just an occasional reluctance to downshift to 3rd or 2nd.

Am I looking at a gearbox rebuild with new syncro cones, or could it be something simple? can engine movement cause this problem on cable change boxes, I wouldn't of thought they would be affected the same way as rod change boxes, am I wrong?

The front engine mount is a very new OE part, the rear & g/box mounts are probably the originals, some movement can be seen in the rear mount but it has not broken. the gearshift adjustment seems fine as all gears are easy to acess when driving moderately!

Would changing the rear & gearbox mounts help in anybodys experience? At the moment even a 1.1 fiesta can beat me away from the lights (up until 30mph anyway) :cry:

Cheers.

The fact you can drive the box normally with no crunch I would say either you have too much movement of engine / box.... if the synchro had gone on second it would crunch pretty much constantly...

Its worth noting if shifting fast u can beat the syncho :oops:

change your gearbox mount and then get the cables set up properly... it'll be an allignment issue which is causing the resistance... 8)

change your gearbox mount and then get the cables set up properly... it'll be an allignment issue which is causing the resistance... 8)

Henny, how do you adjust these cables? I've got a little bit of grief getting mine select the gear smoothly - it will go, but you just have to jigger it a bit. I've changed out all the mounts on mine, done the g/b oil and I'm pretty sure the gear level/bushes are in decent nick. :?

Ta

randal

Cheers guys - yeah i'll change both mounts first and see what happens. Can get g60 box mount for about a tenner from AVS which is damn cheap, shame rear mount is about £45+vat!

Henny, do you know of a garage in the north west that has the proper VAG tool for setting the alignment? Apart from VAG dealers I mean, who probably threw it out about 5 years ago!

They still use cable change boxes, so I'll bet they're still using the same tool. The only difference is 6-speed boxes are more common now.

randal_24, fuktifeyeno... I've yet to get mine setup nicely... something I need to do this weekend before Monday...

Andy T, nope, the only ones I know of who may be able to do it are Dubsport or Awesome as they do have a bit of a habit of doing odd things to Dubs and probably can just do it by eye now! :lol: If you find any, lemme know... ;)

I'll just be doing the good old, "adjust slightly and see if it's any better, then repeat until happy" method this weekend I'm afraid... :| At the same time I've gotta fit that new circlip which has been kicking around in the glovebox for AGES too... :oops: