Sign in to follow this  
pablo_vr6

Eibach springs

anyone running eibachs on std shocks?

I want to change the suspension on my raddo as the bilsteins are a little harsh for my liking. gonna try the eibachs as any car Ive had them on before were excellent.

When Im changing the springs are there any tired old bushes I can do as well?

thanks all

-pablo

I run Eibachs but with uprated shocks and they are ok. I would look at your front top mounts, fornt and rear bumpstops and rear top mounts to be replaced if they havent been for a while.

cool stuff thanks :)

how do you find the ride? I want std ride but dropped! Not worried about stiffening the car for mad cornering etc just purely for aesthetics :)

My VR6 is on Eibach springs and standard dampers. The ride is firmer than standard but theres no slamming or jaring over bumps and I have found it good to live with alough I eventually want to fit koni adjustable dampers. For pictures of how my car sits on these springs se members gallery. 'Salt free Storm' or 'polished storm'

The standard dampers won't last long with the Eibachs as they're a good 40% stiffer than the original springs and about 10% stiffer than the H&Rs.

Ill actually b using the bilsteins from the kit i have - just dont like the springs :(

have had 2 cars tho with eibachs on std springs with no probs at all.

Ah OK, good move......

I would never use uprated springs on standard dampers, but that's just me :lol:

They're valved to suit a specific spring.....

No uprated spring is strictly speaking, but you can get away with it if the dampers are newish or healthy.

I've seen the consequences of running uprated springs on old original dampers, and it wasn't a pleasant site.

I prefer the vastly improve ride and handling uprated dampers bring about anyway.

It's surprising (and slightly worrying) the number of people you see driving around with wheels clearly undamped...

It's surprising (and slightly worrying) the number of people you see driving around with wheels clearly undamped...

Point them to the Koni group buy then :)

You'd be surprised - I've often been tempted to pull alongside and advise they do something about it!

Thats why Im hopefully participatung in the group buy :wink: However when I fitted the eibach springs the original dampers had not long been renewed and so they have lasted the year. I always intended to fit better dampers though but they are working ok at the mo. The worst problem I find is at heigh speed on a bad section of motorway. You get sucked down every bump etc. It doesnt jar but you get shaken up!. This is where I hope to find the biggest improvement as the low speed ride is good.

Have a look on body mods section topic "car looks strange" few people having bad experiences with eibach springs

Plus if you get lowering springs then you should be using the shorter dampers...

VR's definitely need shorter dampers, even with 40mm lowering springs IMO. The damper tubes are too long for shorter springs & you'd be riding very close to or even resting on the bumpstops.

However, G60 owners are okay -

G60 standard front dampers are already about 2" shorter than VR ones & will take lowering springs. The standard damper tubes are the same height as the shortened dampers, it's just the "plunger" part which is a different length.