Sign in to follow this  
GIXXERUK

oil ?? and more

Geoge Foreman grills don't need oil. That's the whole idea behind them, i.e. natural oils contained in the meat drip into the drip tray but you could always coat the grill with some Castrol LM grease if you're after a nice chargrilled chicken effect.

Jedi doesn't have any weird noises in his engine..... I think he's paranoid!

It sounds better than mine and it's had new chains and a new head!

:lol: yes i am paranoid..sorry. although when you drove it that time..it was being very quiet...its often noisier!

im gonna try some 15w50 this time....just not sure what brand or anything.

Geoge Foreman grills don't need oil. That's the whole idea behind them, i.e. natural oils contained in the meat drip into the drip tray but you could always coat the grill with some Castrol LM grease if you're after a nice chargrilled chicken effect.

Just testing :wink:

im gonna try some 15w50 this time....just not sure what brand or anything.

Nooooooooo - don't do it !!

A few cold winters mornings will eventually cause some major wear on your engine 15w50 is way too thick for Corrado's (or any other OHC engine) in this country. Don't confuse road cars with race cars. Race cars can run thicker oil as they don't have to worry about starting & running in sub-zero temperatures.

by the sounds of it pleanty of other people are using 15/50 so i think it will be ok..thanks for the concern though.

can you get 10w50 then?? that would be a good compramise...thinner when cold, thick when warm

I am using 15W50 and rate it as the best oil i have ever used. go for it as it work well in a slightly worn engine.

G

is it in a road car? (just getting confused by your avatar pic)

what brand aswell? cheers

the car in his avatar is ken larks corrado race car as in the same pic as in the top left hand side of the forum

jedi-knight83 wrote:

the car in his avatar is ken larks corrado race car as in the same pic as in the top left hand side of the forum

Yes, but I think we were both wondering if he was the actual driver??

jedi-knight83 wrote:

Yes, but I think we were both wondering if he was the actual driver??

well as ken lark is from harpendon and gman is from cheshire id say he is not and by his avartar he drives a 1.8 16v

by the sounds of it pleanty of other people are using 15/50 so i think it will be ok..thanks for the concern though.

"There by the grace of god go I"

"There by the grace of god go I"

:| ok, what exactly is wrong with this oil, why is synta so special, and are all the ppl that use 15w50 wrong and ruining their eingines?

Mate, I always buy my Synta from GSF... As it comes off the container in the country Stevemac personally blesses every gallon as part of a secret ceremony that gives the oil special properties... 8)

I've used it in all my VW's, its cheap enough to change reguarly and good quality for new and old engines alike.

Synta oils are specifically designed & formulated for use in VW engines. It is/has been made under licence by 3 different oil companies - Esso, Shell & now I'm told it's made by Castrol.

15w50 oil will be okay to use but only in certain circumstances - eg, in a vehicle used mainly for track days. Or for general use in most OHV engines.

This oil is just too thick to use in a vehicle with a OHC engine, in daily road use. The greatest amount of engine wear occurs when the engine is cold. OHC engines need the oil to be thin enough when cold to circulate through the engine during the warming-up period.

This is why VW do not recommend using it !!

Mate, I always buy my Synta from GSF... As it comes off the container in the country Stevemac personally blesses every gallon as part of a secret ceremony that gives the oil special properties... 8)

I've used it in all my VW's, its cheap enough to change reguarly and good quality for new and old engines alike.

:notworthy:

Jedi, stick with Synta mate.

When I used 15/50W Mobil in my 16V turbo (primarily to keep the turbo well lubed) it didn't run any quieter. It's simply isn't worth spending £10 a litre on a 10 year old motor imo. Especially as the VR isn't the most frugal of engines where oil is concerned.

Just to support what SteveMac said earlier....I had a chat with Vince about oils yonks ago and he just said to use synta silver. It's all they use and recommend. One of his reasons for not using expensive synthetics is that he found they kill off the hydraulic tappets quicker than normal.