Sign in to follow this  
Joe M

Uprated Fuel pump for vr6

Just got my car going again with a used fuel pump, but im looking to change it again soon.

Is it worth getting an uprated one? Also consider I may supercharge at some point in the future. What sort of bhp is the standard pump good for?

VW pump is about £105 but FSE do an uprated one for £115, so what do you think?

not sure that you'll need to uprate the fuel pump for supercharging Joe...........best to ask all those with chargers on their VR's.............

for moderate boost levels (up to 250).. above that you'll need a CIS inline with a FMU.. over 500hp and you need the serious gear.

CIS inline in addition to the standard in tank pump? So im as well sticking with standard for now then?

Whats a FMU?

I think the standard pump can handle quite a lot. The current supercharger kits use the stock pump and FPR up to at least 320 hp if not more. After that you could always use an inline pump.

FMU is a device which raises fuel pressure based on vacuum or lack there of (boost) at a predetermined ratio. To change, you replace the diaphram. Basically under WOT you are doubling the pressure to your injectors and maxing their flow rate out in efforts to get the desired amount of fuel. Does it work? sure.. Is it the proper way to do things? not in my opinion. 100+ psi to injectors not designed to handle that takes it's toll on them. But.. to answer your question.. a new/good OEM fuel pump will do just fine. Fueling for a SC kit is much easier than for a turbo. Why? SC provide a linear load on the engine. You will only get max boost at WOT whereas with a turbo, you can achieve max boost anywhere in the rev range if you go WOT. Boost is load dependant with a turbo not RPM dependant with a SC.

R